MAPLETON, Maine — A 22-year-old Mars Hill man was nearly choked to death Wednesday morning when his clothes got caught in a bin piler machine at a potato house where he was working.

Maine State Police Sgt. Josh Haines commended the quick actions of co-workers for cutting Gregory Cousins loose from the machine, which uses conveyor belts to load potatoes into storage bins or trailer trucks.

Haines reported that Crown Ambulance was called at about 10:30 a.m. to the County Farms LLC potato house at 114 Castle Hill Road in Mapleton, where Cousins was working when his clothing became caught in the bin piler machine which pulled him in causing “serious asphyxiation type injuries around his neck.”

Cousins was transported to The Aroostook Medical Center in Presque Isle, where he remained Wednesday evening, according to Haines.

Trooper Jared Sylvia investigated the accident and was assisted by Sgt. Josh Haines, Trooper Dan Marquis and an unnamed official from the federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration.

Haines said no other information was available Wednesday evening.