OTISFIELD, Maine — Three people were injured Friday morning in a pair of explosions believed to have been caused by a reaction in chemicals used to clean the family swimming pool.

The most seriously hurt, 44-year-old Tammy Thomas, remained hospitalized Friday night in stable condition. A family member said in an update on Facebook that the burns were not as severe as initially feared but that she remained on a respirator.

WGME reported that Thomas’ parents suffered less severe burns when a bucket of water exploded, twice, as Tammy was using a broomstick to mix in chlorine.

Tammy’s parents told a reporter that their daughter was covered in chlorine after the blasts. Her eyes and face were burning and she was having trouble breathing, they said.

Her parents were taken to a Norway hospital. Tammy was taken by helicopter to Maine Medical Center in Portland.

Tammy’s husband, Shane Thomas, updated his wife’s condition on Facebook on Friday night to keep her many friend and well-wishers abreast.

“Tammy is currently sedated and on a respirator however she is breathing somewhat on her own,” he wrote. “Still not completely out of the woods yet but prognosis looks good and we will know more tomorrow once they take her off the breathing machine.”