October 19, 2019
Contributors Latest News | Bar Harbor Council | Bangor Metro | Maine Amendment | Today's Paper

Comments for: If legislators wanted to promote economic equality, they should have cut property taxes

  • Anonymous

    The soundest policy I can think of would be to reduce spending.

    • Anonymous

      What spending would you reduce? 

      • You didn’t ask me, but I do see some cuts which could be made withoutt endangering the social safety net.

        D.H.H.S. has too many competing providers supplying redundant services.  We pay for lights rent, administrative costs and ancillary service costs for all these agencies.  If D.H.H.S. put all services out for bid fewer provider agencies could sell services at lower cost per client.

        Too many redundant laws creating far more paperwork than necessary.  We need to hire people to do stuff, not hire people to make more non-productive work. 

        Cut middle and upper management.  Many of these people are in place simply to “protect” the commissioner of their department.  Notice that when anything goes wrong (in any part of government) that it is always a “line worker” and that worker’s direct supervisor who face the music.  No higher-ups are ever injured.  That is by design, and taxpayers support that system.

        This is a small thing but it is representative of how government operates at all levels.  Do we really need signs (provided at taxpayer expense) which say “Bold Coast Route”?  How about the signs which tell you how to exit your county in the event of disaster.  It occurs to me that (depending on the disaster) the signs directing people to an “exit” may be directing them to the very place the fire started, the plane crashed, or the flood waters crested. In 45 years I have never felt the need to escape disaster here, but if I did, I surely wouldn’t follow the crowd out.  There are better ways.  Maybe the government should stop trying to “save us” from every possible event…no matter how unlikely.

  • Anonymous

    It is high time that the property owners in the school districts fire their respective school boards and hire ones who will refuse to implement any unfunded mandates. Refuse to continue any unfunded mandates that are currently being funded by the property owners.

    If you order Pizza delivered and don’t have the money to pay for it, you can’t expect to eat it.

    The schools are saddled with so much that has nothing to do with education that they are breaking the back of the property tax payers.

  • Anonymous

    Thank you for a thought-provoking article.
     
    I think you incorrectly assume that the Republican legislature wants a fair, nonregressive tax structure.

    • Anonymous

      As opposed to the Democratic “tax reform” Mr. Dimillo discussed?   The one that by the third year gave the top 1% percent tax cuts of $35 million while the remaining 99% got a $3 million tax increase? The one that Governor Baldacci found necessary to hold up until they exempted skiing & golf from sales tax? 

  • Anonymous

    Property taxes fund local government.  Income taxes fund state and federal government.  Two completely different sources and funding completely different programs and purposes.  In general local government is based on the model that users pay for services received.   While the property tax is an imperfect model for distributing those costs equally to those receiving services, it is better than the progressive income tax model at attaining fairness.  Fairness in this case is defined as those who receive a service actually pay for that service.  But even with the property tax the rich pay a disproportionate share of the total taxes since they in general own both more property and more valuable property.

    Combining all taxes collected as a means of determining if taxes are regressive is nothing more than an attempt to justify the progressive ideology.  The very concept of regressive or progressive taxes has nothing at all to do with fairness.  True fairness would tax everyone proportionally to the actual services they receive from government.  Bad conclusions based on poor logic as a result of ideologically based and false premises.   GIGO

  • Maine wants to get real with taxes then reduce the mill rate Statewide to something manageable. People can’t pay what is set beyond their means by those who don’t know what they are doing ! The current tax lien mess is proof of that alone.

  • Anonymous

    Excellent article from an expert which will be sniped at by those who are considerably less than expert, making simplistic evaluations, and who would make it a purely part-line political issue.

  • Marthamainer

    The state legislature has very little to do with local property taxes.  They can only influence it so much.

You may also like