BOWDOIN, Maine — A local man is in fair condition after suffering serious injuries in a weekend fireworks in accident.
An official says 62-year-old William Sawyer had placed some fireworks on a picnic table at his Litchfield Road home to test them when a shell tipped over and ignited all of the canisters.
Sgt. Joel Davis of the state Fire Marshal’s Office told WLBZ-TV that Sawyer suffered severe leg trauma. Sawyer was outside by himself at the time, and his wife was inside. No one else was injured.
Davis says Sawyer didn’t follow the product’s directions, which say the shells should be secured to the ground.
The town of Bowdoin has no restrictions on the use of fireworks.