June 18, 2018
Portland Latest News | Poll Questions | Susan Collins | Tiny House Surprise | Stephen King

2nd NY man sentenced in scheme to use fake credit cards to buy goods in Portland area

By Judy Harrison, BDN Staff

PORTLAND, Maine — A New York man was sentenced Friday in U.S. District Court to a year and a day in federal prison for being involved in a scheme that used more than 150 fake credit cards to purchase items at the Maine Mall and nearby stores last year.

Esley Porteous, 28, also was sentenced to three years of supervised release.

Porteous is one of three Brooklyn, N.Y., men arrested in a car that had 188 fake credit cards in the glove box.

In addition to prison time, U.S. District Judge George Singal ordered Porteous to pay $8,700 in restitution with his two co-defendants.

Porteous, Terrell Campbell, 26, and Michael Barnes, 32, were indicted by a federal grand jury in June 2011 on one count each of conspiracy to possess 15 or more counterfeit access devices and possession of 15 or more counterfeit devices. Campbell and Barnes also were indicted for use of one or more counterfeit access devices.

Porteous and Campbell pleaded guilty in April. They have been held without bail since then.

Campbell was sentenced in July to 18 months in prison. Barnes is scheduled to arraigned Sept. 24 in federal court in Portland. His case in Maine was delayed because of charges filed in his home state.

The trio had 160 credit cards in the name of Shawn Collins in the glove compartment of the car the three were in on May 21, 2011. Scarborough and South Portland police, who stopped the trio, also found fake Illinois driver’s licenses with photos of each of the defendants on them.

The trio used the cards to make purchases at GameStop, Sally Beauty Supply, AT&T and Bull Moose Music in Scarborough and at Toys R Us and Babies R Us in South Portland, according to the prosecution version of events to which Campbell and Porteous pleaded guilty.

Porteous is scheduled to be sentenced next month in federal court in Portland. Barnes’ first court appearance in Maine has been delayed until charges pending against him in New York have been resolved, according to court documents.

The maximum penalty faced by the defendants was 10 years in prison and a fine of up to $250,000 on the credit card fraud charge.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like