June 21, 2018
College sports Latest News | Poll Questions | Family Separations | Boston TV | LePage Troops

Weekend college roundup: Maine 2, Bryant 1


Field hockey

Maine 2, Bryant 1

ORONO, Maine — Zoe Adkins (Coquitlam, British Columbia) and Annabelle Hamilton (North Vancouver, British Columbia) each tallied their second goals of the weekend as the University of Maine field hockey team defeated Bryant 2-1 on Sunday afternoon. The win, Maine’s second in a row, moves the Black Bears to 3-4 overall while Bryant falls to 1-5.

With the game scoreless at the 27-minute mark, Elke Jacobse (Badhoevedorp, The Netherlands) used her speed to streak down the left side of the field, carrying the ball into the Bryant circle before drawing a penalty stroke. Hamilton would take the stroke for Maine, burying the shot into the upper left corner of the cage to put Maine on top 1-0.

The Black Bear lead would stand until Kayleigh Ballantyne knotted things up at 1-1 with 12:30 remaining in the contest. Ballantyne was able to corral a rebound off a previous shot and take advantage of Maine goakeeper Alicia Frisch (Calgary, Alberta) being down on the playing surface as she flicked the ball into the cage for her first goal of the season.

Just over six minutes later, Adkins regained the lead for the Black Bears with her second goal of the season. Maine would set-up on a penalty corner as Adkins inserted the ball to the top of the circle where Hamilton ripped a shot towards the cage that was blocked in front. Adkins, stationed on the left post, gathered the ball and beat Bryant goalkeeper Megan Hancock to put Maine back on top, 2-1.

Frisch and the Black Bear defense would come up big down the stretch as the senior goalkeeper made some key saves to maintain the Black Bear lead and give Maine its second-straight victory.

Frisch moves to 3-1 on the season after making six saves while Hancock falls to 1-5 following a 11 save performance.

The Black Bears outshot Bryant 23-8 and also held the edge in penalty corners, 14-5.

St. Joseph’s 2, Anna Maria 0

STANDISH – Freshman forward Amanda Celata (Dedham, Mass.) scored twice to help lift Saint Joseph’s (3-0, 1-0 NAC) past Anna Maria College (1-3), 2-0, in non-conference field hockey action at Mercy Field on Sunday afternoon.

Celata netted her first collegiate goal late in the first half from close range on a well-executed penalty corner play. Junior Carley Denis (Lewiston, Maine) took the corner from the left side and several nifty passes followed, with the last coming from the top of the circle off the stick of senior Melanie Allen (Jackson, N.H.) to Celata, who finished the play with a blast to the bottom right corner of the cage at the 27:11 mark.

The slim lead held true until the 64th minute when Celata tapped in her second goal of the contest on a fast break. Junior Rachelle Messuri (Atkinson, N.H.) controlled the ball from midfield all the way to the goal mouth on the right side and pushed a perfect cross pass to her rookie teammate, who one-timed the feed into the right corner of the cage, extending the hosts’ cushion to 2-0 with 6:40 remaining.

Saint Joseph’s employed a pair of keepers in the victory, as senior Taylor Allison (Pawtucket, R.I.) made one save in the first half and freshman Emily Gallant (Rumford, Maine) – making her NCAA debut – stopped the only shot she faced in the second stanza. Anna Maria freshman netminder Mary Kate Breen (Londonderry, N.H.) registered five saves in a losing effort.

Overall, Saint Joseph’s held large advantages in both shots (15-4) and penalty corners (23-2) on the afternoon. Fouls were fairly even, as St. Joe’s was hit with 66 infractions and the AMCATS were flagged on 64 occasions.

Babson 6, UNE 5

BIDDEFORD, Maine — Sophomore Caroline Malone (Walpole, Mass.) scored off a rebound with 5:01 elapsed in overtime to give visiting Babson College a 6-5 come-from-behind win over the University of New England in non-conference field hockey action Sunday afternoon at the Big Blue Turf.

Babson, which rallied from a 4-1 second-half deficit, improved to 3-1 on the year, while the Nor’easters fell to 1-2. It was the first-ever meeting between the two squads.

UNE seemed in control after sophomore Hannah Warren (Harrison, Maine) drove home an unassisted goal 7:58 into the second frame to give Big Blue a 4-1 advantage.

The Beavers would rally as senior Kelly Walsh (Gardner, Mass.) sandwiched a pair of goals around a tally from first-year Elizabeth Holmes (Southborough, Mass.) over the next 20 minutes to tie the match at 4-all with 5:12 remaining.

UNE senior Laura Egounis (Boscawen, N.H.) provided the Nor’easters with a one-goal (5-4) lead at 66:18 when she ripped home a shot from the top of the circle on a penalty corner.

Babson drew even once again just over a minute later on junior Morgan Lockwood’s (Feeding Hills, Mass.) second goal of the afternoon, forcing the extra session.

Junior Hayley LaPointe (Topsham, Maine) scored a pair of first-half goals to help UNE build a 3-1 cushion. Sophomore Erin Bibber (Charlton, Mass.) provided the other for the Nor’easters.

Lockwood, who finished with two goals and an assist for the Beavers, had the lone tally for the visitors in the opening 35 minutes. Walsh also ended the match with two markers and an assist. Junior goalkeeper Kayla Florence (Milton, Mass.) had a busy afternoon, stopping 12 shots to up her record to 3-1.

For UNE, sophomore Kaitlyn Warren (Boscawen, N.H.) and first-year Lauren Cray (Essex Junction, Vt.) each saw time in goal. Warren had five saves and four goals allowed in 55:30 of playing time, and Cray surrendered a pair of goals in 20:29 of action.

St. Joseph’s 5, Lasell 0

STANDISH – Saint Joseph’s (2-0, 1-0 NAC) walked past Lasell College (1-3, 0-1 NAC), 5-0, in North Atlantic Conference (NAC) field hockey action at Mercy Field on Saturday afternoon.

Five different Monks found the back of the cage, including a pair of first-year SJC stickers, Allyson Allard (Parsonsfield, Maine) and Meghan Williams (Greenland, N.H./St. Thomas Aquinas), who netted their first NCAA markers in the triumph

After a scoreless first half, the Royal Blue came out firing in the second stanza as the hosts tallied three goals in a matter of 16 minutes to secure control of the conference contest. Senior Elizabeth Andersen (Cumberland, Maine) ignited the Monks’ offense with her first goal of the year in the 44th minute after collecting a rebound off a Rachelle Messuri (Atkinson, N.H.) shot. Not to be outdone, Messuri doubled the hosts’ cushion with her team-leading third goal of the year just over 12 minutes later.

Theresa Hendrix (Scarborough, Maine/Cheverus) joined in the scoring barrage barely three minutes after Messuri’s marker when the junior midfielder buried a blast from just inside the circle on the left side for her first collegiate tally.

Allard tacked on her inaugural college goal at the 62:18 mark after collecting a loose ball in front of Lasers netminder Cassie Aviles (Bellingham, Mass.) and Williams joined her classmate on the SJC scoring docket just over three minutes later on a similar play, capping the game-scoring with the Monks owning a considerable 5-0 advantage.

With no offensive support, Aviles was the hard-luck loser after making 13 saves, including seven in a clean first half. Saint Joseph’s senior keeper Taylor Allison (Pawtucket, R.I.) was not tested in her second shutout in as many games this fall.

With the result, St. Joe’s improves to 11-2 in the history of the series with Lasell College and has now defeated the Lasers in seven straight meetings dating back to the 2006 campaign. Six of the Monks’ 11 wins have come by way of the shutout.

Conn. College 3, Colby 2

NEW LONDON, Conn. — The Colby College field hockey team opened up a 2-0 lead early in the second half only to have Connecticut College battle back for a 3-2 victory in New England Small College Athletic Conference play Saturday.

Colby (0-1 overall, 0-1 NESCAC) did have first-year players Megan Fortier (Falmouth, Maine) and Ellie Donohoe (Andover, Mass.) score their first collegiate goals. Fortier scored with 9:53 left in the opening half for the lone goal of the opening 35 minutes. Donohoe tallied just two minutes into the second half to give the Mules what appeared to be some momentum.

However, the Camels bounced back quickly when Brittany Fitzgerald scored just 3:30 after Donohoe’s goal. Jennifer Morgan tied the game at 2-2 with 13:45 to play and Heidi Halsted put Conn College up for good with just 3:59 left to play.

Sophomore goaltender Becca Napolitano made seven stops in the Camel win, while Colby junior Michelle Burt finished with 10 saves.

USM 1, E. Conn. 0

GORHAM, Maine – Sophomore forward Peyton Dostie (Standish, Maine/Bonny Eagle) notched her fourth goal of the season in the 30th minute to lead the University of Southern Maine Huskies to a 1-0 win over the Eastern Connecticut State University Warriors in a Little East Conference field hockey game Saturday afternoon at Hannaford Field in Gorham, Maine.

The win improves the Huskies record to 3-1 on the season and starts their Little East Conference record off at 1-0. Eastern Connecticut falls to 1-2 and 0-1 in the conference.

Dostie snapped a scoreless draw with her second game-winning goal of the season on an unassisted strike. After collecting a loose ball in the circle, Dostie calmly diced her way in front of the cage for the lone goal of the game.

Despite outshooting Eastern Connecticut 9-4 in the first half, the Huskies were unable to beat Warrior sophomore goalkeeperOlivia Mullen (Bethel, Conn.) until late in the half. Mullen made nine saves in the loss.

The Warriors pressured the Husky defense in the second half, outshooting Southern Maine 10-5 and forcing USM junior goalkeeper Kayla Kennedy (Windham, Maine) to make all five of her saves. Kennedy was aided by the solid play of freshmanMarina Davidson (Windham, Maine) who made a pair of defensive saves in the final ten minutes of action.

Williams 3, Bates 2

WILLIAMSTOWN, Mass. — The Bates field hockey team was tested in its season opener Saturday at Williams, nearly coming back from a 3-1 deficit before settling for a 3-2 defeat to the Ephs.

First-year Annie VanWagenen scored all three goals in her debut for the Ephs (1-0), who avenged their 2011 season opener, a 1-0 defeat at Bates.

Bates junior Polly Merck (Beverly Farms, Mass.) scored a game-tying goal and assisted on Bates’ other score, a tally by first-year Shannon Beaton (West Newbury, Mass.).

The Ephs carried a 1-0 lead until 38:57, when Bates’ Merck found the back of the net, knotting the game at 1-1. Williams quickly gained some breathing room, however, with two unassisted shots by VanWagenen at 43:18 and 46:09, bringing the game to 3-1. But Merck found Beaton at 55:09 to narrow the gap to 3-2. The Bobcats pressed hard on the Ephs’ goal for the last moments of the game, calling two time-outs and keeping the ball on Williams’ side, but were unable to tie the score.

Otley made 11 saves total, while Williams’ Ariana Spiliotes had eight.

Bowdoin 3, Wesleyan 1

BRUNSWICK, Maine – Three different players scored to give the Bowdoin College field hockey team a 3-1 victory over Wesleyan on Saturday afternoon at Ryan Field.

In the season opener for both squads, Bowdoin improves to 1-0 (1-0 NESCAC) while the Cardinals fall to 0-1 (0-1 NESCAC). The Polar Bears, ranked second in the NFHCA Division III preseason poll, extend their winning streak at Ryan Field to 24 straight games dating back to 2009.

Bowdoin controlled much of the play of the first half, earning three penalty corners in the first ten minutes, but Wesleyan goalie Tori Redding was equal to the task and stood tall in net for the Cardinals to keep the score deadlocked. Bowdoin broke onto the board midway through the frame off of a corner insert as Brooke Phinney let loose a hard drive that Redding turned aside. Katie Riley pounced on the rebound, though, and slipped the ball underneath the sprawling goaltender at 17:48. The Polar Bears scored again on another corner opportunity with 9:02 remaining in the half. Riley fed the insert to Kassey Matoin, who set the ball for Phinney to blister a shot through the Wesleyan defense and extend the score to 2-0.

The Cardinals rallied in the latter minutes of the first half to close the gap before intermission. A deflected shot off a Wesleyan penalty corner skittered around the front of the net and, just as Bowdoin goalie Kayla Lessard came out to play it, Cardinals’ forward Alyssa Murray tapped it to teammate Taryn Murray to bury at 4:08.

Wesleyan could get no closer, however, as Bowdoin first-year Rachel Kennedy would break through with the lone goal of the second half and the first of her career at 18:37, putting home a loose ball off of a penalty corner. The Cardinals battled back to earn two corners late in the game and forced Lessard to make three big saves in the closing minutes to seal the victory.

Redding made 12 saves for Wesleyan while Lessard earned four in net for the Polar Bears. Bowdoin owned the advantage in both penalty corners (10-3) and shots (21-5). The Polar Bears will play next at Husson University on Wednesday night (7:00 p.m.). Wesleyan will play on Wednesday too, at Wellesley (4:30 p.m.).

Mariners Claim First Victory; Snap 21-Game Winless Streak


Anna Maria 34, MMA 14

PAXTON, Mass. – Quarterback Santino Simone rushed for 135 yards and two touchdowns and passed for 184 yards and an additional score to lead Anna Maria to a 34-14 win over Maine Maritime Saturday. The AMCATS (1-1) picked up their first win of the season and first victory over the Mariners (0-1) in the series.

Trailing 7-0 midway through the second quarter, Simone and company took over on the Mariners’ side of the field following a fumble. It took Anna Maria nine plays to finally break into the end zone, with Simone covering the last seven yards of the 40-yard drive over land to knot it at 7-7. Simone’s touchdown marked the first points in a 34-point surge.

Maine Maritime opened the second half with a possession that ended with a Matthew Hebert (South Portland, Maine) punt that was downed on the AMCATS one-yardline. Robert Small, who rushed for 116 yards and a score on 19 carries provided Anna Maria with some breathing room, getting the AMCATS out to their own 13. After two plays that went nowhere, Simone embarked on an 87-yard scamper to make it 17-7. Simone took his show to the air on the next Anna Maria possession, completing 3-of-4 passes for 54 yards. The last 32 yards came on a toss to David Marsh, making it 24-7. Simone completed 12-of-23 throws in the game. Marsh’s touchdown reception was his only score of the game.

The AMCATS put together 444 yards of total offense to the Mariners 248. Maine Maritime moved the sticks 17 times compared to Anna Maria’s 22, but only two drives covered 30-or more yards, both resulting in Maine Maritime touchdowns. The Mariners marched 90 yards on 16 plays on their first possession. It ended with starting quarterback Bradley Reed (Belfast, Maine) rushing in from 12 yards out. Billy Wetherbee (Veazie, Maine) did the bulk of the work, racking up 46 of his 110 yards on the possession. He toted the ball 23 times on the afternoon.

Mariners’ freshman quarterback, Michael Fahey (Union, Conn.) led Maine Maritime on a 13-play, 78-yard drive, finishing with a four-yard plunge into the endzone. Fahey rushed for 41 yards total on the drive.

Anna Maria’s Kevin Card and Jordan Koehler each recorded 16 tackles, while Card included a sack in his three tackles for losses. Joel Chadbourne (Westbrook, Maine) led the Mariners with 10 tackles, including a sack, while Michael Collins(Kittery, Maine) recorded nine stops.

Men’s soccer

Lesley 4, UMF 3 (OT)

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – Lesley University’s Darius Koep scored in the ninth minute of extra time to lift the host Lynx to a 4-3 overtime win over the University of Maine at Farmington Sunday.

Koep headed home Ari Sinanis’ corner kick into the box with just 86 seconds remaining in the overtime frame.

After spotting Lesley a 2-0 lead in the first 20 minutes of the game, UMaine-Farmington (1-1-0) rallied with Luiz Ristow’s header into the back of the Lesley goal in the 35th minute. The score would hold at 2-1 heading into the halftime break, even with Lesley’s 10-4 advantage in total shots in the first half.

Senior forward Jake Constantine gave the Beavers a 3-2 lead with a pair of goals early in the second half. The first of those, in the 52nd minute, came off an assist from Michael Kelly while Paul Dupre assisted on Constantine’s second goal in the 58th minute.

UMF advantage in the game held up for exactly three minutes and nine seconds, with Lesley’s Jordan Santos knotting the game at 3-3 with a marker in the 61st minute.

Lesley outshot UMF 25-13, with Beavers keeper Chris Roberts recording six saves. Lynx keeper Nathan Trucks logged four saves in the Lesley goal.

U-New England 2, New England College 0

BIDDEFORD, Maine — Sophomore Anthony Frangione (Barnstead, N.H.) scored his first goal of his career with 3:44 left in double overtime to give the University of New England men’s soccer team a 1-0 victory over New England College in non-conference action Sunday afternoon at Barbara J. Hazard Field.

After inserting a corner kick and collecting the rebound that came out, Frangione dribbled in towards the end line and lofted up a shot off the goalkeeper’s finger tips and across the line.

It was the second time in the last six meetings between the teams that UNE (2-2-0) had come out victorious against the Pilgrims (1-2-1).

The Nor’easters almost put it away twice in the first extra session, as junior Matthew Christie (Hudson, N.H.) had a high shot flicked away in the 95th minute and sent another off the crossbar in the 100th.

On the other end of the field, sophomore goalie Aidan McParland (Brockville, Ontario) came up with a key 96th-minute save, denying a dangerous NEC attempt in front with his left hand as all his momentum was moving right.

For the game, Big Blue finished with a 21-10 edge in shots and 6-0 advantage in corners.

McParland turned aside five shots to earned the shutout, while his counterpart, Pilgrims senior Corey Barbo (Yarmouthport, Mass.), recorded seven saves on the day.

UMPI 5, Berkeley 2

PRESQUE ISLE — Kobe Ashkir (So./Portland, ME) scored the first two goals of the match as his University of Maine-Presque Isle Owls never trailed while defeating Berkeley (NY) College, 5-2. The Sunday afternoon tilt was the home opener for the Owls, who move to 3-1 in the season.

After being outplayed for the majority of the 1st half, the Knights still managed to be within one goal at halftime, thanks to a Ibrahina Ndiaye score just 17 seconds before the break.

UMPI goals by Tyler Harding (Jr./Plymouth, ME) and Jeremy Tarr (Jr./Ashland, ME) within 3 minutes of each other started the scoring for UMPI in the second half and gave the Owls an insurmountable 4-1 lead.

Johnson & Wales 2, St. Joseph’s 1 (OT)

STANDISH — Johnson & Wales University (2-1-1, 1-0-0 GNAC) tipped Saint Joseph’s College (1-2-1, 0-1-0 GNAC), 2-1 in overtime, in what was the 2012 Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) opener for both sides Saturday afternoon.

Wildcats freshman Drew Lightfoot (Philadelphia, Pa.) scored the first two goals of his NCAA career in the upset victory over the reigning GNAC Champions. He claimed his first collegiate tally off a free kick from about 40 yards out in the 16th minute. Lightfoot connected on a sinking kick from the center of the pitch while several JWU players created confusion in front of SJC freshman keeper Scott Benner (Post Falls, Idaho), a diversion that allowed the bounding ball to sneak past the goal line.

Plenty of midfield play followed as neither team would muster a prime scoring opportunity until 10 minutes into the second stanza when junior forward Zach Johnson (Westbrook, Maine) appeared to score the game-tying goal on a nifty header shot, but the goal was called off due to an offsides infraction.

With the clock dwindling down, St. Joe’s senior swing man Jack LaFreniere (Alton, N.H.) provided the hosts with some hope when he knotted the game in the 85th minute. The four-year starter managed to net his second goal of the young season on a bouncing kick that bounded over the head of JWU keeper Austin Scoggin (Mattituck, N.Y.) and into the net.

The back-and-forth play continued for the remainder of regulation and the opening minutes of extra play until Lightfoot propelled his team to victory with a booming kick from the 20 that sailed into the right side of the goal.

In goal, Benner recorded four saves in his third collegiate start while Scoggin went relatively untested with three stops on the afternoon. Overall, Johnson & Wales held a 13-9 advantage in shots and both sides were awarded three corner kicks in the conference contest.

UM-Farmington 10, Wheelock 1

BOSTON – Sophomore forward Luiz Ristow (Joinville, Brazil) scored three times while freshman midfielder Ibrahim Achekh (Aboudeia, Chad/Lewiston, Maine) added a pair to lead the University of Maine men’s soccer team to a 10-1 in over Wheelock College, Saturday evening at Sweeney Field.

Ristow scored UMaine-Farmington’s (1-0) first two goals, in the 28th and 35th minutes respectively, and completed the hat-trick with another goal in the 59th minute.

The Beavers took a 3-0 lead into halftime, with Achekh picking up his first collegiate goal with 18 seconds remaining in the first half.

The second half was scoreless for over nine minutes, with UMaine-Farmington breaking the scoring drought with three more goals in the span of three minutes-and-15 seconds. Senior forward Jake Constantine (Woodland, N.J./Seneca) opened the scoring flurry late in the 55th minute, with Achekh and Ristow completing the run.

Freshmen Zach Sathasivam (Valley Stream, N.Y./Kellenberg Memorial) and Abdi-Kadir Jibril (Lewiston, Maine/Lewiston) each charted their first collegiate goals, while sophomore Matt Potter (Waterville, Maine/Erskine Academy) and senior Nick Grim (Ipswich, Mass./Ipswich) also notched single markers.

Wheelock’s(0-2) Zach Bushway broke UMF’s shutout bid with a goal in the 82nd minute for the Wildcats.

UMaine-Farmington outshot Wheelock 55-4, and had a 15-2 advantage in corner kicks. UMF keeper Chris Roberts (Arundel, Maine/Thornton Academy) played all 90 minutes in the Beavers’ goal, but was not credited with a save.

UMFK 8, Berkeley 1

FORT KENT — The UMaine-Fort Kent men’s soccer team defeated Berkeley College (NY) 8-1 in a USCAA match-up Saturday afternoon.

Kennard Brown (St. Elizabeth, Jamaica) scored two goals and had two assists to lead the attack for (3-0-0) UMFK while Giovanni Sinclair (St. Elizabeth, Jamaica) and Alex Caballero (Orono, Maine) combined to make one save on two Berkeley shots.

Hasn Sezer scored an unassisted goal for 1-2-0 Berkeley and Camilo Montes made six saves on fourteen UMFK shots.

Colby 0, Conn. College 0

NEW LONDON, Conn. —- Colby College sophomore Cody Funkhouser (Hopewell, N.J.) earned his first collegiate shutout in helping the Mules to a 0-0 season-opening overtime tie with Connecticut College in New England Small College Athletic Conference men’s soccer action Saturday.

The Camels pressured early and often with 17 shots in the contest, Funkhouser stopped six shots and Colby’s defense held strong. Camel junior keeper Casey Marini stopped two shots.

Both teams had opportunities to win the game in the final minute of the second overtime. Connecticut College sophomore Doug Garabedian made a game-saving clear near the end line to avoid a Colby golden goal.

On the ensuing possession, Kevin O’Brien snapped a high-rising shot from 15 yards away that Funkhouser was able to make the save on to secure the scoreless tie.

The Camels had a 17-4 margin in shots and an 8-6 edge in corner kicks.

Worcester St. 1, USM 0

WORCESTER, Mass. — Junior Brendan Whitson (Auburn, Mass.) scored a goal in the 83rd minute to help lift the Worcester State University Lancers to a 1-0 triumph over the University of Southern Maine Huskies in non-conference men’s soccer action this afternoon at Coughlin Field.

The win was the first of the season for Worcester State after two losses. Southern Maine falls to 1-3 on the season.

With just over seven minutes remaining in the contest, junior Alex Wolfel (Unionville, Conn.) spotted a streaking Whiston and hit him in stride with a long pass. Whitson outran a defender and unleashed a shot to beat USM senior goalkeeper Jeremy Turner(Portland, Maine/Deering) far side right for the eventual game winning mark.

The Lancers (1-2) had numerous scoring chances in the first half, but were unable to capitalize and get the ball past Turnerwho had a solid period stopping all six shots that he faced.

In the 27th minute, the Lancers had a great opportunity to get on the board when freshman Shane Fraga (Ludlow, Mass.) headed a corner kick just outside the right post. Just six minutes later, senior DJ Gustafson (Webster, Mass.) gave the Lancers a great look from 20 yards out when he crossed over the defense and shot a bullet toward the left corner where Turner had to lay out making a great full extension save to keep the game scoreless.

Southern Maine opened the second half with a great scoring chance in the 57th minute. Sophomore Mazen Aljari (Jeddah, Saudi Arabia) went streaking up the middle of the field after a loose ball on a breakaway, but freshman net minder Nick Zucco(Ludlow, MA) came out of net to make a great slide tackle to knock the ball away at the 35-yard line. In the 73rd minute Aljari had another bid, but this time he chipped a shot toward the short side post from point-blank range only to see Zucco make a diving stab to keep the score knotted up at zero.

Turner finished the game tallying 11 saves while Zucco added four stops for the Lancers. Worcester State finished with the 19-8 edge in shots and the 7-2 lead in corner kicks.

Wesleyan 2, Bowdoin 0

BRUNSWICK, Maine — The Wesleyan University men’s soccer team scored a pair of first half goals to take a 2-0 win over Bowdoin on Saturday afternoon.

The Cardinals, ranked fourth in the latest New England Division III poll, improve to 1-0-0 with a win in their season opener while the Polar Bears dip to 0-1-0 after their first outing.

Daniel Issroff had a hand in both of Wesleyan’s markers, starting with the game’s first goal in the 22nd minute. A bouncing ball at the top of the box came to the foot of the the sophomore midfielder, who blasted a shot that deflected high off a Bowdoin defender and soared over the leaping hands of Bowdoin goaltender Will Wise at 21:04.

Nearly seven minutes later, Issroff played a corner kick into the box, where Spencer Tanaka footed a volley into the net for to double the visitor’s lead at 28:03.

Bowdoin rallied in the second half, earning a 4-1 advantage in corners and 7-5 edge in shots, but could not dent the scoring column. Adam Purdy made three saves for Wesleyan, who held a 17-12 edge in shots overall. Wise finished with four saves for the Polar Bears.

Williams 2, Bates 0

WILLIAMSTOWN, Mass. — Goals from Matt Kastner and Michael Madding propelled Williams College past Bates 2-0 in the NESCAC opener for both men’s soccer teams on Saturday at Cole Field.

The win was the second in a row for the Ephs, who opened their season with a comeback victory over Westfield State on Wednesday. The contest was the season-opener for Bates (0-1-0).

Freshman goalkeeper Joe Maffly-Kipp (Chapel Hill, N.C.) was credited with nine saves for the Bobcats, who were outshot by a 28-9 margin in Stewart Flaherty’s collegiate head coaching debut.

Than Finan stopped two shots for Williams (2-0-0).

Women’s soccer

Lesley 3, UMF 0

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – A scoreless first half gave way to three Lesley University goals in the span of seven minutes as the undefeated Lynx posted the win Sunday.

Lesley’s Hayley Wirth broke the scoring drought with what proved to be the game-winning goal in the 58th minute. Alexis Giusti and Kate Ryder each added additional goals for the Lynx, who improved to 5-0-0 with the win.

The two teams played nearly even through the first 45 minutes, with Lesley holding a 4-2 advantage in total shots, but UMaine-Farmington (1-1-0) getting both its shots on goal – both off the foot of senior forward Alida Peake.

However Lesley exploded for 16 shots in the second half, 11 of those on goal, while UMF was unable to get away a single attempt at the Lynx goal. Beavers keeper Beth Lebel played all 90 minutes in goal, charting eight saves.

St. Joseph’s 7, GMC 0

POULTNEY, Vt. – A five goal outburst by St. Joseph’s College within a span of eight minutes in the first half spelled trouble for the Green Mountain College women’s soccer team on Sunday afternoon as the visiting Monks scored a 7-0 non-conference victory over GMC at Eagles Game Field.

St. Joseph’s Jodi Pollack opened up the scoring in the 19th minute of the first half on an unassisted marker. The Monk’s Sam Peters doubled the lead less than a minute later when she redirected a corner kick from Catherine Munch. Lauren Chouinard extended the lead to 3-0 when she lobbed a long range shot over Eagles’ keeper Kim Simonetti.

Back-to-back goals by Lizzie Calnan just over three minutes apart would up the visitors lead to 5-0. Doe Leckie closed out the first half scoring for the Monks in the 42nd minute when she chipped in a shot which was created from a through ball by Hannah Leblanc.

The second half was only witness to one goal as Stacy Anuszweski tapped in a cross from Hannah Leblanc.

The Monks outshot the Eagles by a 24-0 margin which earned starting goalkeeper Jaci Lorenzen (2-0-0) the victory. She shared the shutout with fellow keeper Laura Dimillo who saw some action as she entered the game in the 64th minute of play.

Simonetti (0-4-0) was busy in goal for the Eagles, stopping 10 shots in a losing effort.

MMA 4, Daniel Webster 1

NASHUA, N.H. – The tandem of Sara Brochu (Hardwick, Vt.) and Annie Koensgen (Placitas, N.M.) notched a pair of goals each, while Lillian Slazas (Stockton Springs, Maine) added two assists as Maine Maritime spoiled host Daniel Webster’s home opener, 4-1.

Maine Maritime took a 1-0 lead into the half after Brochu put the visitors ahead in the 30th minute. The Mariners seized control with three strikes within the span of 16 minutes midway through the second. Koensgen upped it to 2-0 in the 54th minute, Brochu netted her second in the 64th, and Koensgen added her second in the 70th.

Alexis Pavelock registered her second goal of the season and in as many games for the Eagles (1-1), breaking up the Mariners’ shutout bid with 12 minutes remaining in the second half.

It was the Mariner’s first victory of the season as they improved to 1-3 overall, and snapped a 21-game drought.

UMass Boston 1, UNE 0

BIDDEFORD, Maine — Senior Meghan O’Connell (Abington, Mass.) headed home a cross off the foot of first-year Sam Bendick (New Egypt, N.J.) with just under four minutes remaining in double overtime to give the University of Massachusetts Boston women’s soccer team a 1-0 win over the University of New England in a non-conference match played Saturday afternoon at Barbara J. Hazard Field.

The win keeps the Beacons perfect at 3-0 on the year, while UNE drops to 1-3 overall.

O’Connell’s game-winner at the 106:03 mark was the only shot for either side in the second overtime period, and finished off a 25-17 advantage in the category on the afternoon.

Each side had one quality scoring chance in the first extra session. UNE first-year Kristin Dechene (Nashua, N.H.) put a header just wide in the 93rd minute, and on the other end, UMass Boston sophomore Krista Ledin (Bridgewater, Mass.) was denied on a diving stop by Big Blue junior goalkeeper Gina Iannazzi (Methuen, Mass.).

After the opening 45 minutes saw the Nor’easters hold an 11-7 edge in shots, Iannazzi was needed on two ocassions to keep the contest scoreless early in the second half. She layed out once again to prevent a Ledin shot-on-target, and followed in the next minute with a diving save on Beacons junior Tayla Andrews (Plymouth, Mass.).

Iannazzi totaled 12 saves on the day, keeping Ledin and Andrews (11 goals through UMB’s first two games) off the scoresheet.

The Nor’easters had one more near miss in the 76th minute, as a header by sophomore Margaret Palmer (Scarborough, Maine) sailed just inches over the crossbar.

Sophomore Kristen Spain (Quincy, Mass.) made three stops for UMass Boston, which travels to Western New England University on Tuesday (4 p.m.).

Bowdoin 1, Wesleyan 0

BRUNSWICK, Maine – Rookie Maggie Godley’s first career goal was the difference as the Bowdoin College women’s soccer team held off Wesleyan for a 1-0 victory Saturday at Pickard Field.

The Polar Bears improve to 2-0-0 (1-0-0 NESCAC) for the first time since the 2007 campaign with the victory in their home opener. The Cardinals, who were playing their first game of the season, fall to 0-1-0 (0-1-0 NESCAC).

The game-winning strike came in the 30th minute as Molly Popolizio beat a Wesleyan defender on the right wing. Popolizio served a dangerous ball into the box, where Godley stretched to get a toe on it, tapping the ball inside the right post at 29:51.

That was all the stout Bowdoin defense needed, as goaltenders Louise Johnson (two saves in first half) and Bridget McCarthy (five saves in second half) shared the shutout victory. Jessica Tollman singlehandedly kept the Cardinals in contention with nine saves, including several spectacular stops in the second period.

Bowdoin finished with a 15-11 advantage in shots and 7-6 edge in corners. The Polar Bears return to action on Wednesday afternoon at home against Bates (4:30 p.m.). Wesleyan will play at Eastern Connecticut that same night (7:00 p.m.).

Williams 2, Bates 0

WILLIAMSTOWN, Mass. — A pair of first-half goals held up as the final score on Saturday, as the Bates women’s soccer team fell 2-0 at Williams in the Bobcats’ season opener.

The Ephs (1-1-0) took the lead in the first frame with an unassisted goal from Abby Morss, followed by a finish from Alison Magruder off of a through ball from Samantha Vilaboa.

The Ephs took 18 shots to the Bobcats’ seven. Bates goalies Anabel Schmelz (Monmouth Beach, N.J.) and sophomore Alyssa Morgosh (Carlsbad, Calif.) held their own, however, and combined for nine saves — including six from Morgosh in the second half. Hannah Van Wetter and Laura Wann had two saves apiece for the Ephs.

Colby 2, Conn. College 1

NEW LONDON, Conn.—Junior forward Crysti Tsujiara scored with 1:02 remaining to lift the Colby College women’s soccer team to a 2-1 victory against Connecticut College in a game played on Tempel Green Saturday.

Kate Laxson chipped in with a second half score for Colby.

Lily Cannon netted a first half goal for the Camels.

Colby College senior net-minder Jayde Bennett made two saves in the opening half, while Emily Brook added four saves in the second stanza to earn the win.

Sophomore net-minder Natalie Signor had six saves in the setback for Connecticut College.

The teams finished tied with 10 shots each with Colby holding a 6-to-3 advantage in corner kicks.

Framingham State 4, USM 0

FRAMINGHAM, Mass. — A pair of goals and an assist from sophomore forward Isabela DeSouza (Framingham, Mass.) propelled the Framingham State University women’s soccer team to a 4-0 victory over the University of Southern Maine this afternoon in non-conference action at Maple Street Field.

With the win, the Rams improve to 1-1 on the season, while the Huskies fall to 1-3.

Southern Maine had a chance early to take the lead when sophomore Kelly Burrell (Cumberland, ME) stole the ball from the Ram defense and was alone in the box. Burrell fired a shot at net but Framingham State goalie McKenzie Vershon (Chicopee, Mass.) was able to punch it away.

The Rams broke the scoreless deadlock with just 1:30 left in the opening frame when DeSouza fed a thru ball to junior Kayla Austin (Winchester, Mass.) who broke behind the Huskies defense. Austin took possession and lofted a shot over the keeper and into the top of the net for her second goal of the year.

Framingham State wasted no time doubling their lead in the opening minutes of the second as Austin and DeSouza connected once again. This time it was Austin feeding DeSouza a thru ball and DeSouza beating the goalkeeper with a well placed shot for her first marker of the game.

The Rams controlled the second-half play outshooting the Huskies 16-4 in the frame and holding a 25-7 shot advantage for the game. Junior Cara Murtagh (Quincy, Mass.) pushed the Rams lead to 3-0 in the 70th minute with an unassisted tally. Murtagh took possession on the side and maneuvered through the defense before placing a shot in the corner.

DeSouza added her second of the day off an assist from senior Sarah Carey (Fall River, Mass.) in the 73rd minute to reach the final margin.

Vershon picked up the shutout victory in net for the Rams making five saves, while freshman Marissa Temple (Grafton, Mass.) made 10 saves for the Huskies before giving way to sophomore Sarah Bishop (Hermon, Maine) who made two stops.


FORT KENT — Freshmen forward Katherine Ferland (Montreal) scored four goals and assisted on another in leading the University of Maine Fort Kent past visiting University of Maine Presque Isle 9-1 in the sixth annual Potato Barrel Classic Saturday afternoon.

Freshmen forward Kayla Richards (Presque Isle, Maine) added a goal and three assists for UMFK (3-0-0) while Kimika Forbes (Trinidad) and Liz Morneault (Eagle Lake, Maine) combined to make three saves in goal for UMFK.

Lainey Herring (Houlton, Maine) scored for UMPI (1-2-0) on an assist from Chelsea Beauchemin (North Adams, MA) and Taylor Ussery made ten saves on nineteen UMFK shots in goal for the Owls.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like