June 20, 2018
Aroostook Latest News | Poll Questions | Fuddruckers | Opioid Sales | RCV Ballots

Driver dies in Van Buren accident; road closed for nearly four hours

Monica Pettengill Jerkins | BDN
Monica Pettengill Jerkins | BDN
U.S. Route 1 in Van Buren was closed for nearly four hours on Sunday, Sept. 2, 2012, after a fatal accident. Scott Cormier, 41, died after striking the back of a Connecticut couple's vehicle. He was ejected from the vehicle and pronounced dead at the scene.
By Jen Lynds, BDN Staff

VAN BUREN, MaineA 41-year-old Van Buren man who police said was traveling at an “extremely high rate of speed” was killed Sunday after an early afternoon accident on U.S. Route 1.

The accident that killed Scott Cormier and sent a Connecticut couple to Cary Medical Center in Caribou took place at around 12:30 p.m. and closed the road for nearly four hours.

Van Buren Police Sgt. Luc Dyer said Joseph Parent, 71, of Connecticut was driving northbound with a female passenger that police believe was his wife. The couple was in a 1997 Mercury Grand Marquis.

Dyer said that Cormier, who was driving a 2001 GMC Yukon, struck the back of Parent’s vehicle. The impact forced Parent’s vehicle off the road, into a ditch and then into a dooryard. The vehicle barely missed hitting the house, Dyer said.

Cormier careened off the roadway, went airborne and vaulted over a guardrail and into a ravine. He was ejected from the vehicle and pronounced dead at the scene.

His vehicle caught fire, which was extinguished by the Van Buren Fire Department.

Van Buren Ambulance took Parent and his passenger to the Caribou hospital. Dyer said that the pair was in stable condition. He was not sure if they were wearing seat belts, but he said that he believed they were.

Van Buren Police Chief Mike Bresett, Officer Cameron Dufour, Aroostook County Sheriff’s Detective Ross McQuade and State Police Trooper Chuck Michaud assisted at the scene.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like