June 17, 2018
Portland Latest News | Poll Questions | Tiny House Surprise | Antiquing | Stephen King

Kennebunk man arrested after store robbery

Sanford Police Department | BDN
Sanford Police Department | BDN
Michael Decelle
By Stephen Betts, BDN Staff

SANFORD, Maine — A 28-year-old Kennebunk man was taken to York County Jail in Alfred after his arrest early Sunday morning in the armed robbery of a convenience store the previous day.

Michael Decelle was arrested shortly after 2 a.m. on a charge of robbery by members of the Sanford Criminal Investigative Division of the town’s police department, according to a news release by the department. Officers apprehended the suspect after a brief foot chase outside his residence that police had under surveillance.

The Sanford Regional Communications Center had received a call shortly after 2 p.m. Saturday from a clerk at the Lil General convenience store in Sanford. The clerk reported that a man came into the store, showed a black semi-automatic pistol and demanded money. The man came around the counter, emptied both cash drawers and stole cigarettes.

The clerk ran out the back and called police. The suspect also left through the back door and fled in a vehicle, according to police.

Pictures from the surveillance footage were distributed to outside agencies and the suspect was eventually identified as Decelle.

Surveillance was set up at his residence and at approximately 10:30 p.m., a household member called the police on an unrelated matter. When Decelle, who was hiding inside the residence, found out that police had been called, he fled the house on foot, according to the police department’s news release.

Wells police Sgt. Kevin Chabot and his canine tracking dog Ellie were called to the scene to conduct a search. Shortly after the K-9 track had started, a resident from a nearby neighborhood reported that someone had just attempted to steal his truck. The K-9 track diverted to the area, but was ultimately unsuccessful.

Suspecting that Decelle would eventually return to the residence, members of Sanford CID again set up surveillance. At approximately 2:10 a.m., Decelle was spotted with night-vision goggles coming out of the woods heading toward his residence. Sgt. Matthew Jones and Detective Eric Small arrested Decelle in his front yard after a brief foot chase.

Bail was set at $100,000.

Sanford Police Chief Thomas Connolly said in a news release, “While this was a serious crime, the quick identification and arrest of the suspect by members of Sanford CID should ensure the community that the suspect will spend a significant amount of time in jail and therefore should not be a threat to the community in the future.”

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like