HAMPDEN — It’s become a rite of late summer.
The 33rd Annual Hampden Children’s Day will take place on Saturday, Aug. 18, at McGraw School, 20 Main Road North. The rain date is Sunday, Aug. 19.
The concept for the event, now under the auspices of the Hampden Recreation Department, has remained fairly constant through the years.
“It’s a fun, end-of-summer event for the kids in town, which provides free entertainment and activities,” explained Don Darling, chairman of the Hampden Children’s Day committee.
As the following schedule shows, there’s something for everyone at Children’s Day, as many of the town’s organizations pitch in to make the event a success.
Still the event can always use more help. Darling noted that the organizing committee will be down to four members after this year, and that more members are needed. Anyone interested in serving on the committee can contact Darling at 944-5019 or email@example.com or the Rec Department at 862-6451.
The Hampden Children’s Day schedule is as follows:
• 7-9 a.m., Annual Hampden Kiwanis Pancake Breakfast, Hampden Kiwanis Civic Center, Main Road. $6, children $3.
• 8:30 a.m., Fourth annual Craig Thomas McBean Memorial 5K Run/Walk and Kids Fun Run, Weatherbee School, 22 Main Road North. Registration 7:30, fun run 8:30, 5K 8:45.
• 9-10 a.m., Book reading and signing by Maine children’s author Katie Clark, Highland Pre-School, 29 Kennebec Road.
• 9:30 a.m., Bike decorating, on the soccer field behind Reeds Brook Middle School.
• 10 a.m., Parade lineup at Reeds Brook Middle School.
• 11 a.m., Annual Children’s Day Parade, which will begin at Reeds Brook and end at the junction of Route 9 and 202.
• Noon-1 p.m., Book reading and signing by Maine children’s author Katie Clark, Highland Pre-School, 29 Kennebec Road.
Afternoon activities at McGraw School:
• Kiwanis quarter booth games, run by the Boy Scouts;
• Touch-a-Vehicle, operated by the Hampden Recreation Committee;
• Bounce house;
• ATA Martial Arts’ “Break a Board” event;
• PVHC Junior Black Bears, hockey-skills demonstration, information;
• Wildlife Encounters Traveling Zoo;
• Face painting with Girl Scouts of Maine;
• Pack 41 Hampden Cub Scouts, games, information;
• Dunk tank.
• 12:30-1:30 p.m., Top Hat Dancers will perform in front of Weatherbee School.
• 1:15-2 p.m., Comic juggler Zachary Field, Weatherbee School Gym.
• 2:15-3:15 p.m., ATA Martial Arts “Ninja Recital,” Weatherbee School Gym.
• 3:30-4:15 p.m., Magician/balloon artist “Amazing Lou” Ward, Weatherbee School Gym.
• 4:30-7 p.m., Dance party with DJ Trevor Kohls, Weatherbee School Gym.
• 7-8:15 p.m., Live music by Midnight Rose, Weatherbee School Gym.
• 8:15-8:30 p.m., Ribbons and awards announced, Weatherbee School Gym.
• 8:30-9 p.m., Fireworks.
• 9-10 p.m., More music by Midnight Rose, Weatherbee School Gym.
• Hamburgers, cheeseburgers, French fries, doughboys and lemonade, McGraw School;
• Hot dogs, sandwiches, water, soda, chips and dessert, Weatherbee School;
• Ice on the Move, more than 70 flavors of shaved ice;
• Root-beer floats, Hampden Highlands United Methodist Church.