June 25, 2018
Lewiston-Auburn Latest News | Poll Questions | Lone Star Ticks | Foraging | Bangor Pride

Lewiston man denies charges in shooting

Daryn Slover | Sun Journal
Daryn Slover | Sun Journal
Steve R. Anctil Jr. had his initial appearance in 8th District Court in Lewiston in May.
By Chris Williams, Sun Journal

AUBURN, Maine — A Lewiston man pleaded not guilty Friday to charges stemming from a May shooting.

Steve R. Anctil Jr., 24, of 127 Oak St. was indicted earlier this week by an Androscoggin County grand jury on three felonies: robbery, elevated aggravated assault and possession of a firearm by a prohibited person.

If convicted on all counts, Anctil faces up to 65 years in jail and more than $100,000 in fines.

He was arraigned Friday in Androscoggin County Superior Court, but remained at the Androscoggin County Jail in lieu of $100,000 cash bail.

If released from jail, he is barred from having a dangerous weapon, including a firearm. He also is prohibited from having any contact with Kristopher Klimek, 63, of Naples and witnesses Wendy Chamberlain and Ali Almurshidy.

Anctil was charged in the Lewiston shooting of Klimek, who underwent surgery at Central Maine Medical Center in Lewiston for a gunshot wound. Witnesses said Klimek was shot in the street outside an apartment house at Bates and Granite streets.

Anctil was attempting to steal money from Klimek, according to the indictment. Anctil had been prohibited from having a firearm because he was convicted of robbery in 2008.

In an affidavit, police said Anctil had planned to rob Klimek, a meat salesman, by luring him to the corner of Bates and Granite streets with a text message.

When they met shortly after 4 p.m. that day, Anctil had covered his face with a bandanna. He demanded money from Klimek. When Klimek refused, police say Anctil shot Klimek in the abdomen and fled. The bullet exited through his thigh, court records said.

Police arrested Anctil hours later.

Klimek appears to have become a target for Anctil because he was known as someone who had a lot of money, police said.

Police searched Anctil’s home but failed to turn up a handgun. Anctil denied any involvement in the shooting, saying his cellphone, which sent the text, was stolen earlier in the day, according to court records.


Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like