BANGOR, Maine — A Lincoln couple involved in a brawl earlier this week in which knives and a walking stick reportedly were wielded remained Friday night at the Penobscot County Jail unable to make bail set earlier in the day.
District Court Judge Charles Dow set bail at $3,000 cash for each of the defendants.
Walter Cote III, 42, and Andrea Carlow, 21, were charged with aggravated assault in what was a family dispute outside a residence at 219 Enfield Road in Lincoln over a smashed sliding glass door at a relative’s Taylor Street house recently, according to court documents. What apparently began as a verbal altercation quickly escalated into blows.
The two were arrested Wednesday night by Lincoln police.
Cote and Carlow are not expected to enter pleas to the charges until they have been indicted next month by the Penobscot County grand jury.
Through the lawyer of the day, Jeremiah Haley of Bangor, Carlow told Dow that she and Cote, her boyfriend, got involved in the fight in an attempt to defend Cote’s 16-year-old son.
At least three people were stabbed in the incident, including a 25-year-old man from Arlington, Mass., who required surgery, and two Lincoln women, one who is 24 and another who is 26. The women were treated at Penobscot Valley Hospital and released, according to court documents. Information about the man’s condition was not available Friday afternoon.
Lincoln police Officer Mark J. Fucile said Friday after Cote and Carlow’s court appearance that the incident still was under investigation. He declined to say whether a knife or other weapons had been recovered.