SEARSPORT — Children age 4 to 10 will learn about Maine and maritime history while having fun with crafts, stories, games and other activities in HistoryCrafts, a new series of programs at Penobscot Marine Museum.
Visitors can drop in for a different program anytime from 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Wednesday and Friday, July 11 through Aug. 17. The programs are free with museum admission and to teachers and librarians with valid identification.
The activities were developed for use in the Maritime History and Literacy Curriculum, which the museum offers to Maine schools in a variety of formats. Museum educators will be on hand during HistoryCrafts sessions to talk with teachers and librarians about the curriculum and to display and explain the History Kits from which each activity is taken.
The schedule is:
• Lighthouses, Wednesday, July 11. Make a model lighthouse, experiment with light, listen to lighthouse stories.
• Fairy Houses, Friday, July 13. Learn about fairy houses, make a fairy house, listen to a story.
• Lobsters, Wednesday, July 18. Learn about lobsters, paint a lobster buoy, explore a lobster boat, observe a live lobster.
• Three Penny Boats, Friday, July 20. Make and sail a model boat, learn about different kinds of ships, enjoy a book about boat building.
• Native Americans, Wednesday, July 25. Learn about Maine’s native tribes, build model wigwams and canoes, hear Indian legends.
• Rocks and Paper, Friday, July 27. Make rock projects and paper “‘zine beads,” learn about Maine’s stone and paper industries.
• China, Wednesday, Aug. 1. Make painted flags, play Chinese shuttlecock, jump rope, use chopsticks, hear a story.
• Fish Printing, Friday, Aug. 3. Make a fish print, visit the Marine Science Lab, play games, learn about fish.
• Post Cards, Wednesday, Aug. 8. Make a 3-D map, write a picture postcard, design a postcard, hear a story about a Maine village.
• Compasses, Friday, Aug. 10. Learn to use a compass, magnetize a needle, play compass games, make a compass rose.
• Sailors’ Valentines, Wednesday, Aug. 15. Make shell art, learn about trade with the West Indies, hear about life aboard sailing ships.
• Signal Flags, Friday, Aug. 17. Learn to use signal flags, make a signal flag placemat, listen to sea stories.
For information, go to www.PenobscotMarineMuseum.org or call 548-2529.