Candle ignites downtown Calais apartment fire, displacing five residents

Posted June 25, 2012, at 12:16 p.m.

CALAIS, Maine — Five people are living in temporary housing after a fire sparked by a candle left their downtown Calais apartment building at 3 Swan St. uninhabitable.

Calais Fire Chief Dale Purton said Monday the fire was reported at 5:35 p.m. Sunday. Responding were his department and firefighters from St. Stephen, N.B. Those crews remained on the scene until 8 p.m.

Purton said an investigation showed that an unattended candle ignited a curtain, which then fell onto a bed. Fire damage was contained to one bedroom of the six-apartment complex, but the entire building was filled with smoke and parts of the older building sustained some water damage.

Three of the six apartments, which Purton said had been recently renovated, were occupied.

Firefighters also were able to rescue four cats.

Similar articles:

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business