May 25, 2018
Lewiston-Auburn Latest News | Poll Questions | DHHS Report | Islesboro Ferry | Election 2018

Lewiston shooting victim lured by text message, police say

Daryn Slover | Sun Journal
Daryn Slover | Sun Journal
Steve Anctil appears in 8th District Court in Lewiston on Friday. He is charged with robbery and elevated aggravated assault in the nonfatal shooting of Kristopher Klimek, 63, of Naples.
By Daniel Hartill, Sun Journal

LEWISTON, Maine — Police believe Scott Anctil, 24, of Lewiston planned to rob 63-year-old meat salesman Kristopher Klimek of Naples, luring him to the corner of Bates and Granite streets with a text message.

“Be available about 4 and and I live on bates street BLOODED,” read the message from Anctil’s phone.

When they met shortly after 4 p.m. Wednesday, Anctil hid his face beneath a bandanna. He demanded money from Klimek. When he refused, police say Anctil shot Klimek in the belly and fled, according to court records.

Police arrested Anctil hours later. He has since been charged with elevated aggravated assault and robbery.

During Actil’s initial court appearance in Lewiston District Court on Friday, Judge Jeffrey Moskowitz read the detailed charges aloud and doubled the state’s request of $50,000 cash bail. Anctil remained held at Androscoggin County Jail.

No new information was released about Klimek’s condition. At his request, officials at Central Maine Medical Center could not release information. He has been recovering at the Lewiston hospital since undergoing surgery for Wednesday’s gunshot wound, described in court records as entering his lower abdomen and exiting through his thigh.

Klimek appears to have become a target for Anctil because he was known as someone who had a lot of money, according to the police affidavit.

The four-page sworn statement describes a female witness who told police Anctil and two other men had been hatching a plan to steal someone’s money one day before the shooting. The next day, she and a friend spotted Anctil carrying a handgun outside 2 Granite St.

Moments after the shooting, she saw Anctil leaving the scene.

Police arrested Anctil on Wednesday at his home at 129 Oak St. They searched his home but found no handgun.

He denied any involvement in the shooting, according to the affidavit. He said his cellphone, which sent the text, was stolen earlier in the day.

Anctil has a long history of assaults, domestic violence assault, theft and robbery. He was convicted of violating bail five times. His rap sheet with the Maine State Bureau of Information stretches across 40 pages.

He most recently worked at a local Big Apple convenience store.

To read more from the Sun Journal, go to

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like