FREEPORT — The fourth annual Cumberland County Tri for a Y will be held this Saturday at the Casco Bay YMCA.
The race consists of a sprint triathlon and the Crank and Shank duathlon. Both will be contested by experienced tri-athletes, first time tri-athletes and competitors as young as 12 and as old as 74.
Chandler Wyman of Pownal is 13. Tucker Ginn also of Pownal is 12. Michael Cowell of Yarmouth is 74 and Elizabeth Serrage of Cape Elizabeth is 72.
The tri will cover of a 325-yard pool swim, 13-mile bike ride and a 3-mile run. The Crank and Shank involves a 1.5 mile run, a 13-mile bike ride followed by a 3 mile run.
The money raised at this event through race entries and competitor sponsorships will go toward the Cumberland County Y’s financial assistance program.
Packet pickup for athletes on race day will be at 7 a.m.. The triathlon begins at 9 a.m., followed by the duathlon 20 minutes later.
Selig: Oakland move might be considered
NEW YORK — Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig says it’s up to Lew Wolff to decide whether to consider additional sites for a new ballpark for the Athletics, and the Oakland owner maintains he’s focused on San Jose rather than a move outside the Bay Area.
Speaking Thursday after a quarterly owners’ meeting, Selig said there’s no timetable for resolving Oakland’s dispute with the San Francisco Giants. The Giants are preventing the A’s from building a ballpark about 40 miles south of Oakland in San Jose, which is part of the Giants’ territory.
Baseball has been reluctant to approve relocations. When the Montreal Expos became the Washington Nationals after the 2004 season, it was the first shift since the expansion Washington Senators transformed into the Texas Rangers in 1972.
Asked whether the A’s would consider other relocation possibilities, Selig responded: “You’d have to ask Lew Wolff. That’s really his decision to make.”
Twenty-three teams have opened ballparks since 1989, and the A’s and Tampa Bay are the only two teams still seeking new stadiums. Wolff is allowed to consider other sites within the A’s territory — such as downtown Oakland — but approval from MLB would be needed for a move outside the territory.
SMU fires athletic director Steve Orsini
DALLAS — SMU athletic director Steve Orsini was fired Thursday, just four weeks after he and the Mustangs hired Hall of Fame basketball coach Larry Brown.
The move was announced by SMU President R. Gerald Turner in a news release, and was effective immediately.
“After several discussions over the last few weeks, it became apparent to me that it was necessary to make this change,” Turner said. “While we both are committed to the support of our student-athletes and coaches, a unified effort is required for future progress in our athletics programs.”
Orsini had been SMU’s athletic director since 2006. In January 2011, he had been given a contract extension through May 2015.
Turner thanked Orsini for his contributions to SMU athletics and said a national search for a new AD would begin immediately. Tim Leonard, the senior associate director of athletics for external affairs, was named interim AD.
SMU is set to move from Conference USA to the Big East Conference in July 2013, a transition that Orsini was overseeing. TCU, the other NCAA Division I program in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, had been set to go to the Big East but instead accepted an invitation to join the Big 12.
Saints’ Vilma sues Roger Goodell for defamation
NEW ORLEANS — Suspended Saints linebacker Jonathan Vilma filed a defamation lawsuit Thursday against NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, claiming the league’s top executive made false statements that tarnished Vilma’s reputation and hindered his ability to earn a living playing football.
The suit in U.S. District Court in New Orleans claims Goodell, “relied on, at best, hearsay, circumstantial evidence and lies” in making comments about Vilma while discussing the NFL’s bounty investigation of the New Orleans Saints.
Goodell has said Vilma was a leader of the team’s bounty program that put up thousands of dollars for hits which took out opposing teams’ star players from 2009-11, including $10,000 each on then-Arizona quarterback Kurt Warner and then-Minnesota quarterback Brett Favre during the playoffs in 2010.
“Commissioner Goodell opted to make very public and unfortunately erroneous allegations against Jonathan,” said Vilma’s attorney, Peter Ginsberg. “By making these false and public statements, he has significantly harmed Jonathan’s reputation and ability to make a living.
“By suing Commissioner Goodell in court, Jonathan opted to use a fair playing field where he has procedural rights and protections to remedy the harm Commissioner Goodell has done to him.”
Vilma wrote on his Twitter account that, “As I’ve said before..I NEVER PAID, NOR INTENDED TO PAY ANY AMOUNT OF MONEY, TO ANY PLAYER FOR INTENTIONALLY HURTING AN OPPONENT.”
Tom Renney out as coach of the Edmonton Oilers
EDMONTON, Alberta — Tom Renney is out as coach of the Edmonton Oilers.
The team announced on its Twitter feed Thursday that it won’t renew Renney’s contract.
“Tom’s done some great things for our hockey club,” general manager Steve Tambellini said in a video statement posted on the Oilers’ website. “But we felt at this time it was the right decision to make a change.
“We’re entering a new phase of our hockey club. We’ve got some great challenges, but ones that we’re looking forward to. I want to thank Tom for his work that he’s done with us.”
The Oilers were 32-40-10 this season, the second-worst record in the NHL, after going a league-worst 25-45-12 in 2010-11 in Renney’s first season with the team.
“I’m not going to dissect Tom as a coach. He’s a good man, a good coach,” Tambellini said. “I’m sure again he’ll work again as a head coach soon.”
The Oilers have a stable of high draft picks, taking forwards Taylor Hall and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins first overall in the last two drafts. They are counting on Hall, Nugent-Hopkins and forwards Sam Gagner and Jordan Eberle, both 22, and 21-year-old Magnus Paajarvi to drive them back into playoff contention.