April 21, 2019
Augusta Latest News | Kenduskeag Race | Bangor Metro | Bangor Homelessness | Today's Paper

Logger forced to pay more than $5,000 in restitution

AUGUSTA, Maine — An Oakfield logger has been ordered to pay more than $5,000 in restitution for failing to pay a landowner for harvested trees, according to a press release from the Maine Department of Conservation.

Jason Siltz, 38, was ordered to pay a total of $5,058.37 to a Massachusetts resident for trees harvested between June 2010 and February 2011 on a 90-acre lot in Linneus.

The case was one of several heard by District Judge Bernard O’Mara on Tuesday in Houlton District Court. The cases were investigated by Maine Forest Service rangers and brought to court by Ranger Investigator George Harris and Ranger Chris Beyer of the Houlton office.

According to Harris, some 475 cords of wood was harvested but Siltz paid the landowner only $3,422.05 out of $8,480.42 brought in. The timber harvest reportedly was overseen by a licensed forester and several attempts were made by the landowner and the forester to work out a payment plan. The logger was making payments, but then stopped, according to the release.

The Maine Forest Service received the complaint last July and after an investigation, the matter proceeded to court. As a result, the outstanding amount of $5,058.37 will be collected through the court and paid to the landowner.

In a second case, Dwight Osgood, 64, of Macwahoc Plantation, the local deputy town fire warden, was fined $100 and ordered to pay restitution amounting to $1,050 for damage done to a neighbor’s house by an uncontrolled fire.

Osgood wrote himself a fire permit on March 21 to burn grass. The fire escaped, however, and damaged a vacant home owned by a Florida resident. The Kingman Fire Department fought the fire, as did the Maine Forest Service, with a total crew of eight and two engines. The fire burned cedar shingles on side of the house.

Osgood reportedly burned his hands in an attempt to extinguish the fire and refused care, receiving medical care at a later date. The state fire marshal’s office was notified.

In two other cases, Thomas Small, 29, of Smyrna was fined $100 for burning without a permit in an organized township. Small was burning brush and pallets on April 1 when the fire escaped into tall grass. Harris, aided by Small, had to suppress the fire using a newly installed 100-gallon tank on a Maine Forest Service ranger truck.

Jay Holck, 50, of Hodgdon was fined $100 for burning restricted materials after the Maine Forest Service received a complaint about burning plastic on April 15.

On inspection, Harris found cloth, cans, glass and household garbage being burned in an outdoor grill at Holck’s residence. Holck extinguished the fire at Harris’ request.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like