May is National Bike Month and no matter where you live in the U.S., there are sure to be many bicycling-related events, including those surrounding bike to Work Week and Bike to Work Day, and the first ever Bike to School Day. Interested in the idea of bicycle commuting, but not sure where to start? The League of American Bicyclists can help you out. Here are their tips for riding your bike where most people only drive their cars:
Five Steps to Riding Better:
1. Follow the Rules of the Road. Ride with traffic and obey the same laws as motorists. Use the rightmost lane that heads in the direction that you are traveling. Obey all traffic control devices, such as stop signs, lights and lane markings. Always look back and use hand and arm signals to indicate your intention to stop, merge or turn.
2. Be Visible. Ride where drivers can see you. Wear brightly colored clothing at all times. At night, use a white front light and red rear light or reflector. Wear reflective tape or clothing.
3. Be Predictable. Ride in a straight line and don’t swerve between parked cars. Make eye contact with motorists to let them know you are there. Do not ride on the sidewalk.
4. Anticipate Conflicts. Be aware of traffic around you and be prepared to take evasive action. Learn braking and turning techniques to avoid crashes. Be extra alert at intersections.
5. Wear a Helmet. Make sure that the helmet fits on top of your head, not tipped back or forward. After a crash or any impact that affects your helmet, visible or not, replace it immediately.
National Bike Month is an opportunity to celebrate the unique power of the bicycle and the many reasons we ride. Whether you bike to work or school; to save money or time; to preserve your health or the environment; to explore your community or get to your destination, get involved in Bike Month in your city or state — and help get more people in your community out riding too!
When is Bike to Work Week and Day?
The League of American Bicyclists is the national sponsor of Bike Month, and this year Bike to Work Week is May 14-18 and Bike to Work Day is Friday, May 18.
When is Bike to School Day?
The inaugural Bike to School Day is May 9.