June 22, 2018
Mid-Maine Latest News | Poll Questions | Border Patrol | Energy Scam | Toxic Moths

Waterville police report arrests of two drunken men in separate incidents

By Ryan McLaughlin, BDN Staff

WATERVILLE, Maine — Waterville police arrested two men in the early morning hours over the weekend, one who scuffled with officers outside the Waterville House of Pizza and another who claimed he was in Vassalboro after breaking into a local plant, according to authorities.

At 4:45 a.m. Saturday, police were called to the Huhtamaki Plant on College Avenue, Deputy Chief Charles Rumsey said Tuesday.

When Sgt. Alan Main arrived, he discovered Kyle Corrieri, 26, of Clinton had broken a window to gain entry to the building and was intoxicated and unconscious, Rumsey said.

“He was passed out in a chair behind a desk when Main made contact with him,” Rumsey said.

When Corrieri was questioned, he reportedly told police he was in Vassalboro.

Corrieri was arrested and charged with criminal mischief and criminal trespass, both Class D misdemeanors.

At 1:30 a.m. Sunday, Sgt. William Bonney was on foot patrol on Main Street when a pedestrian informed him of a fight taking place at the Waterville House of Pizza.

When Bonney got to the scene, an employee reportedly was trying to remove an intoxicated, unruly Bennie Coutu, 32, of Waterville from the establishment.

Rumsey said Coutu was uncooperative when Bonney tried to handcuff him, slapping the officer’s hand away, and a large crowd gathered outside the business to watch the scuffle.

“People in the crowd were hollering at the officers to let Coutu go and leave him alone,” said Rumsey. “They encroached very close to where the officers were struggling to take this man into custody.”

Bonney had tried to use his pepper spray on Coutu, but it didn’t work, according to Rumsey. Officer Brian Gardner eventually arrived and used his Taser on Coutu, and officers were able to subdue the suspect .

Coutu faces a felony assault charge for hitting the officer in addition to refusing to submit to arrest, Rumsey said.

Both suspects were taken to the Kennebec County Jail, where Coutu remains. Corrieri was released on bail.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like