Husband, wife hospitalized after propane tank explodes at Lebanon campground

Posted April 28, 2012, at 1:02 p.m.

LEBANON, Maine — A husband and wife were hospitalized with burns when a propane tank explosion that could be felt up to 10 miles away burned their camper at a southern Maine campground.

Lebanon Rescue Assistant Chief Jason Cole said crews were called to the Salmon Falls River Camping Resort in Lebanon shortly after 7:30 a.m. Saturday.

A woman in her 60s was flown to Maine Medical Center in Portland with serious burns. Her husband was taken to Frisbie Memorial Hospital in Rochester, N.H.

Cole said a second propane tank exploded while crews were there, and that a second camper was also destroyed.

The identities of the victims were not released, but Cole said they are from Missouri and had arrived at the campground Friday.

The state fire marshal’s office is investigating.

Similar articles:

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
The Forecaster
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business