NOBLEBORO, Maine — Three men were arrested early Monday morning after they fired at least five shots from a .22-caliber rifle into a home on Upper East Pond Road in Nobleboro, according to Lincoln County Sheriff’s Department Lt. Michael Murphy. No one was injured.
By Monday afternoon, it appeared that the three men were going to be released from jail after a District Court judge reduced their bail amounts to sums the defendants said they could afford.
Sumner Keith, 19, and Anthony McCullagh, 18, both of Nobleboro, and Chad Bolster, 19, of Augusta all were being held at Two Bridges Regional Jail in Wiscasset on Monday, each facing a charge of Class C reckless conduct with a dangerous weapon.
According to Murphy, the residents of a home at 204 Upper East Pond Road reported that shots had been fired at their home at about 1:20 a.m. Monday. Investigators later discovered that five .22-caliber rounds had struck the residence, which had an adult woman and two teenage males inside. Murphy said three of the bullets penetrated the home and that the incident stemmed from a disagreement between Keith and a male teenager who lives at the residence.
At about 3 a.m. Monday, as detectives were collecting evidence at the scene of the shooting, Lincoln County deputies stopped Keith’s green 2001 Subaru Legacy close by. Acting on information from the victims, the three occupants were arrested and police seized a .22-caliber rifle from the car.
“They’d been lingering in the area for quite a while,” Murphy said. “I want to make sure people know this wasn’t a random act. This was a specific house targeted for a specific reason.”
Murphy would not discuss the reason because of the ongoing investigation.
All three men participated in a video arraignment from jail at West Bath District Court on Monday afternoon.
Initially, bail was set for Keith at $3,000 cash but was reduced to $100 cash and required enrollment in a release program run by Volunteers of America by District Court Judge Beth Dobson. Assistant District Attorney Deborah Cashman had asked for $1,000 cash bail.
“This is the defendant who was alleged to have actually shot the rounds,” said Cashman. Keith had no criminal history and said he is employed.
Bolster, who Cashman said loaded the gun used in the incident, had his bail set at $500 cash or $5,000 surety, plus enrollment in the VOA program. McCullagh, who allegedly was driving, had his bail set at $300 cash. Cashman had argued for $1,000 cash for both Bolster and McCullagh, but Dobson opted for amounts that the defendants said they could afford.
All three men are barred from possessing firearms and from any contact with one another or their alleged victims.
Correction: An early version of this story requires correction. Lt. Michael Murphy said three bullets penetrated the victims’ home and that his earlier statement to the Bangor Daily News that no bullets penetrated the exterior of the building was incorrect.