Bingham man burned after restarting fire with gasoline

Posted March 07, 2012, at 4:10 p.m.

BINGHAM, Maine — A Bingham man suffered burns to his legs, arms and face on Tuesday night after attempting to restart a fire in his wood stove with gasoline, said Maine Department of Public Safety spokesman Stephen McCausland.

Brad Zinkovitch was rushed to Redington-Fairview Hospital in Skowhegan by Kennebec Valley Ambulance.

The State Fire Marshal’s Office said the fire flashed as the gas was being poured in the wood stove from a plastic container, McCausland said Wednesday.

The Bingham Fire Department responded to the call at 8:05 p.m. Tuesday. Chief Scott Laweryson said the single-story ranch on Murray Street sustained heavy smoke and heat damage.

Story continues below advertisement.

“One room has some structural damage,” Laweryson said. “The house is still standing and repairable, but I don’t think it’s habitable right now.”

A woman and two children living at the home escaped the fire without injury, although four family pets were killed, said McCausland.


Similar Articles

More in Mid-Maine