June 24, 2018
Hancock Latest News | Poll Questions | Lone Star Ticks | Foraging | Bangor Pride

Lamoine accident victim suffered minor injuries, police say

By Bill Trotter, BDN Staff

LAMOINE, Maine — According to police, a Hancock woman who was involved in a single-vehicle accident Sunday on Pinkham Flats Road escaped without any serious injuries.

Elizabeth Austin, 47, was flown by LifeFlight helicopter to Eastern Maine Medical Center in Bangor following the Sunday afternoon accident as a precaution, Deputy Christopher Sargent of the Hancock County Sheriff’s Department said Monday.

“They thought she might have a spinal injury,” Sargent said.

The deputy said he had spoken with Austin’s boyfriend, who told him that she did not break any bones. She may have some bruising but is not expected to suffer any long-term physical ailments as result of the accident, he indicated.

Sargent said Monday afternoon he did not know if Austin was still at EMMC. A spokeswoman at the hospital said Monday that she had no information on Austin.

Austin was driving a 2003 Ford Ranger west on Pinkham Flats Road around 2:30 p.m. Sunday when the accident happened, according to the Hancock County Sheriff’s Department. Austin, the sole occupant of the truck, complained of apparent back injuries as emergency workers freed her and then put her in the LifeFlight helicopter to transport her to EMMC.

Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife Warden Phil Richter arrived on the scene first. Emergency workers were on the scene less than 15 minutes after he called the accident in.

Police said Austin’s pickup slid on snow in the roadway, and high winds then caused the truck to continue to drift across the road and strike a utility pole. The force of the crash knocked the pole down and flipped the truck onto its roof. Wires from the pole were tangled in the vehicle’s undercarriage, according to police.

The vehicle was destroyed in the accident.

The accident caused a power outage affecting approximately 250 Bangor Hydro-Electric Co. customers, according to a Bangor Hydro spokeswoman.

Emergency personnel left the site around 4:30 p.m. and power was restored a short time later.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like