July 20, 2018
University of Maine Black Bear Sports Latest News | Poll Questions | Trump-Putin Invite | Bangor Mall | Maine Focus

Singleton free throws lift UMaine past UMBC in overtime

BDN staff reports

BALTIMORE — Raheem Singleton made both ends of a bonus with under seven seconds remaining in overtime Saturday evening, lifting the University of Maine to a 77-76 America East men’s basketball victory over the University of Maryland Baltimore County.

Jarrel Lane missed a driving shot as time expired as coach Ted Woodward’s Black Bears held on to eke out their third straight win.

UMaine (11-10, 5-5 AE) prevailed after having led by as many as 10 points (60-50) in the second half. The Bears overcame being outscored 27-10 from the foul line and having two players foul out.

The Bears trailed by as many as three points in the extra period and didn’t lead until Singleton made the second foul shot that proved to be the game-winner.

Sophomore center Alasdair Fraser was a force in the paint for UMaine, posting a double-double with 21 points and 12 rebounds. He went 10-for-14 from the floor and added four assists, three blocked shots and a steal.

Gerald McLemore finished with 20 points, six rebounds and two steals, freshman Justin Edwards contributed 16 points, seven rebounds, six assists and three steals and Singleton finished with 10 points and seven rebounds.

The Bears shot 46 percent (32-for-70) from the field, piling up 54 points in the paint.

Chase Plummer was a handful in leading UMBC (3-19, 2-8 AE), which lost its fourth in a row. He scored a game-high 24 points, which included a 14-for-18 effort from the foul line, and snatched nine rebounds.

Ryan Cook netted 21 points and grabbed eight boards for the Retrievers, who outrebounded the Bears 45-42 and converted 27 of 35 free throws.

Cook made both ends of a double bonus to give UMBC a 76-73 lead with 19 seconds remaining, then the Bears cut it to a point when McLemore tipped in a missed 3-pointer by Andrew Rogers with 12 seconds left.

McLemore quickly fouled Brian Neller, who proceeded to miss both of his foul shots at the other end. Fraser rebounded and got to the ball, injuring his right ankle on the play, then got the ball off to Singleton.

Singleton was fouled with less than seven seconds to play and calmly sank both free throws to give the Bears the lead for good.

UMaine led 60-50 with 6:38 to go in regulation, but couldn’t hold on.

Cook scored on an offensive rebound to make it a one-point game with 57 seconds to play, then Plummer hit the second of two foul shots with 11 seconds left to make it 68-68 and send the game into overtime.

The Bears had taken the upper hand by virtue of an 11-0 surge in the second half. Edwards opened the run with two free throws, then followed with a fast-break layup. McLemore drained a 3-pointer that gave UMaine a 46-44 lead with 14:16 to play.

Fraser kept the run going with a reverse layup, then Edwards made a steal and fed Fraser with a no-look pass for a layup that made it 50-44 with under 12 minutes to go.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like