April 22, 2018
Midcoast Latest News | Poll Questions | Stoned Pets | Kenduskeag Canoe Race | Barbara Bush

Man to be sentenced for girlfriend’s murder

By Abigail Curtis, BDN Staff

BELFAST, Maine — A man charged with strangling his girlfriend to death a year and a half ago will be sentenced Monday at Waldo County Superior Court for the crime.

Dennis Edgecomb, 41, formerly of Belfast, will change his plea to guilty of murdering Pamela Green, 42, of Morrill, according to Assistant Attorney General Leane Zainea.

A police affidavit filed with the case after the killing reported that Edgecomb called a 911 dispatcher on July 20 and said that he had just strangled a woman in the Morrill home they shared and that he did not think she was going to live.

He then asked the dispatcher to hold on, because he was going to be sick, the affidavit said.

An hour before that call, Green had sent a text message to her daughter, police report.

“He’s threatening to kill me right now, call and you can hear it,” the message read.

Edgecomb initially pleaded not guilty to the crime and has been at Two Bridges Regional Jail in Wiscassett awaiting trial, his court-appointed attorney, Jeremy Pratt of Camden, said last fall.

When he made his first court appearance shortly after the murder, the courtroom was crowded with Green’s friends and relatives, one of whom described the woman as “awesome” and “a lot of fun.”

Edgecomb told police detectives that the day’s violent events began when Green found out that he wanted to move from her home, according to the affidavit. He told police that they began fighting, and that he pushed her on the couch.

“He told us when he threw her on the couch she said, ‘That’s going to leave a mark.’ He then held her down and choked her,” Detective Scott Bryant of the Maine State Police wrote in the probable cause affidavit filed at Waldo County Superior Court.

Edgecomb told them that Green’s face was under a cushion, and that he stopped choking her when she stopped moving.

In the 911 call, Edgecomb told a dispatcher that she had been “lying there blue and not breathing” for 10 minutes before he called for help, Bryant wrote.

“He said he defended himself and does not want to go to jail,” the detective said in the affidavit. “He tried CPR and it did not work.”

Zainea said that Green’s loved ones are expected to stand up in court and describe the impact that her death has had upon their lives.

Ellie Hutchinson, an advocate at the midcoast domestic violence nonprofit agency New Hope For Women, said last fall that it has been “unsettling” for people in Waldo County to have gone so long without a trial or sentencing for Green’s murder.

“I think when it hangs on more than a year, people wonder what’s happened. Or maybe think that nothing’s happened, which is even worse,” she said in October.

Edgecomb’s sentencing will begin at 8:30 a.m. Monday.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like