October 19, 2017
Down East Latest News | Poll Questions | Haunted Maine | Obamacare | National Anthem Protests

Fire believed caused by wood stove guts home in Machias

By Tom Walsh, BDN Staff
Updated:

MACHIAS, Maine — A fire apparently sparked by a barrel-style wood stove heavily damaged a house at 8 Harwood St. in Machias on Monday morning.

Brothers Mark and Mike Crowley, who are both carpenters, bought the old, two-story frame house the day before the fire and had just moved their belongings from their previous home in Addison.

Both homeowners and their two golden retrievers got out safely, and no injuries were reported.

The house was not insured, according to Mike Crowley.

More than 20 firefighters from Machias, East Machias, Machiasport, Marshfield, Jonesboro and the Washington County Fire Service Strikeforce responded to the 8:30 a.m. alarm and were on the scene for more than two hours.


Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like