June 22, 2018
Augusta Latest News | Poll Questions | Border Patrol | Energy Scam | Toxic Moths

3 killed in crashes on icy roads in southern Maine

The Associated Press

GARDINER, Maine — Icy roads are being blamed for a highway accident that claimed two lives in Gardiner, a crash that claimed one life in Bowdoin, and a truck crash that resulted in power outages in southern Maine.

Police say U.S. Route 201 in Gardiner was closed after a vehicle rolled over about a mile north of the Interstate 295 interchange, killing two men and injuring a third person.

Dennis Kay, 62, of Gardiner and Carlton Norwood, 25, of Pittston were killed in the crash, according to the Portland Press Herald.

Both men were partially ejected when the cargo van they were riding in skidded out of control and rolled over before landing in a ditch on its side, Gardiner Police Chief James Toman said.

A third man, Thomas Bourque, 29, of Randolph, was taken by ambulance to MaineGeneral Medical Center in Augusta for treatment of injuries that were not life threatening.

The section of Route 201, also called Brunswick Avenue, was closed for about three hours as police investigated the crash, Toman said.

The crash occurred around 8 a.m., as the men were driving a Budget rental van south on Brunswick Avenue toward Interstate 295.

According to Toman, Bourque was riding in the cargo area of the van while Kay and Norwood were up front.

Police have not yet determined which of the men was driving, but Toman said it did not appear that any of the men were wearing seat belts.

Maine State Police and Kennebec County Sheriff deputies assisted Gardiner police and fire department at the scene, Toman said.

In Bowdoin, The Sagadahoc County Sheriff’s Office said 45-year-old Andrew Klaiber of Topsham was killed Saturday afternoon after crashing into a tree just before 3 p.m. on Route 201, WGME reports.

In Falmouth, ice covering Route 9 caused a truck rounding a curve to hit a pole Saturday morning, leaving more than 300 Central Maine Power customers without power for several hours. Nearly 100 gallons of fuel spilled in the road, which was shut down. WMTW-TV says there were no injuries in that crash.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like