OAKLAND, Maine — A family of four lost everything they had in an early-morning fire Monday, but authorities said they were fortunate to escape with their lives.
Ryan Shuman, his wife and their two children were awoken by smoke detectors early Monday and discovered heavy smoke and flames in their one-story mobile home, Oakland fire Chief Dave Coughlin told the Bangor Daily News on Wednesday.
Coughlin said the fire “originated around a woodstove.”
“This time of year makes it even worse,” Coughlin said, noting the blaze occurred the day after Christmas and that the children lost all their Christmas presents.
“They were very lucky they had working smoke detectors,” said Coughlin.
Ryan Shuman was transported to a Waterville hospital, and later lifted by LifeFlight helicopter to Eastern Maine Medical Center in Bangor, where he was treated for first- and third-degree burns, according to the chief.
Coughlin said the family is receiving assistance from the Red Cross.