June 19, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | Fuddruckers | Opioid Sales | RCV Ballots

Candle fire prompts evacuation of Old Town apartment building

By Nok-Noi Ricker, BDN Staff

OLD TOWN, Maine — Old Town police and firefighters woke up nearly a dozen people early Monday morning after a candle caught the side of a Howard Street apartment building on fire, Deputy Fire Chief Steve O’Malley said.

“It was just a candle on the porch that was on a mantel,” the deputy chief said. “The wax started combustibles and it burned up the wall.”

The relatively small fire, reported about 12:50 a.m. Monday, was put out quickly but it took fire crews about an hour to ensure that every spark had been extinguished and to air out smoke from the building. Those evacuated had to wait about an hour to get back inside their rental units, O’Malley said.

“Unattended candles are dangerous,” the deputy chief said. “We get that a lot.”

The candle was not a Halloween decoration, he said.

Old Town firefighters, assisted by crews from Orono and Milford, left the scene around 2:15 a.m. to return to their stations. No injuries were reported.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like