October 22, 2017
Hancock Latest News | Poll Questions | Haunted Maine | Bald Eagles | Medicaid Expansion

Orland firefighters contain fire to chimney

By Dawn Gagnon, BDN Staff

ORLAND, Maine — Firefighters stopped a chimney fire early Monday evening at 961 Acadia Highway before it was able to spread to the rest of the house.

The fire, the first in Orland for the new home heating season, was contained to the top two or three feet of the chimney, Assistant Chief Bob Conary of the Orland Fire Department said Monday night.

“It did not spread beyond that,” he said.

As a precaution, however, crews used a thermal imaging camera to make sure that the fire had not spread into the house’s interior walls.

Conary cited a buildup of creosote as the cause. Much of the debris was knocked out of the chimney with chains, he said.

“We did recommend that they have it checked before they use it again,” Conary said.

The homeowners used baking soda to extinguish a fire that was burning in their wood stove before firefighters arrived, he said.

Everyone who was in the building, including several young children, made it out safely, Conary said. He said the family was alerted to the fire by a person who was at the Acadia Highway Market & Deli across the street.

“They didn’t even know it was happening,” Conary said.


Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like