WARREN, Maine — A Maine State Prison inmate died early Tuesday morning, according to the Maine Department of Corrections.
Officials would not release how Forrest Gerry, 84, of Biddeford, died.
Gerry had six months left to serve of a four-year sentence. He was serving consecutive two-year prison terms for violation of probation, and aggravated trafficking and unlawful possession of drugs.
The death happened around 4 a.m. and is being investigated by Maine State Police and the Maine medical examiner’s office. The medical examiner had no information on the death Tuesday and no autopsy was expected.
Maine Department of Public Safety spokesman Stephen McCausland said Gerry died at a midcoast nursing home, where he had been staying.
There have been several inmate deaths at the state prison this year.
- In March, Ryan Allan Calor, 29, of Northfield died of pneumonia. He was serving a three-year sentence for burglary.
- In June, Lloyd Franklin Millett, 51, who was serving a life sentence for double murder, was beaten in prison and died from his injuries more than a week later at Eastern Maine Medical Center in Bangor. Inmate Frank Higgins, 49, has since been charged with murder in connection with the beating death.
- In July, convicted murderer Robert Ingerson, 65, died of natural causes in the prison. He had been diagnosed with bladder cancer.
- Also in July, inmate Shaun Corson, 33, of Madison, died after he hanged himself in his cell, the Maine medical examiner’s office determined. Corson was being held as a fugitive from justice on a charge that he killed his girlfriend, 31-year-old Stephanie Ann Slevin, in Florida and then stole her car.
- According to Department of Corrections data, five inmate deaths in a year is about on par with the past few years. In 2008, eight inmates died. There were four inmates deaths in 2009 and three in 2010.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
An earlier version of this story contained an error. According to an Associated Press report, Maine Department of Public Safety spokesman Stephen McCausland said Forrest Gerry died at a midcoast nursing home where he had been staying, not at the Maine State Prison.