BIDDEFORD, Maine — A man who was killed in a fire that left eight other people in an apartment building homeless allegedly committed suicide in the blaze, according to authorities.
The State Fire Marshal’s Office said Ricardo Santiesteban, 49, had been consuming alcohol most of the day Tuesday and poured gasoline around his bedroom and then ignited it, according to a Morning Sentinel report.
Biddeford firefighters were called to an explosion late Tuesday afternoon.
Santiesteban had a friend deliver a suicide note to his wife, who was in another unit in the same building at the time.
The fire on Main Street destroyed many tenants’ belongings and sent two firefighters and one resident to the hospital.