Alfred man sentenced to 35 years in federal prison for making bombs

By Judy Harrison, BDN Staff
Posted Oct. 04, 2011, at 12:12 p.m.

PORTLAND, Maine — An Alfred man who last year lost part of a finger making a bomb in his home was sentenced Tuesday to 35 years in prison in U.S. District Court, according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office.

Robert Wayne Infante, 48, told police he was injured in a gas explosion on June 25, 2010.

Infante pleaded guilty in June to possession of firearms and ammunition by a felon, possession of an unregistered destructive device, manufacturing marijuana and possession of a destructive device in relation to drug trafficking, according to Assistant U.S. Attorney Stacey Neumann.

A charge of possession of a firearm in relation to drug trafficking was dismissed at sentencing.

Infante entered a conditional plea to the charges, which allows his attorney, federal public defender J. Hillary Billings, to appeal the denial of a motion to suppress the search of Infante’s home that led to his arrest.

Infante was sentenced to the mandatory minimum penalties, Billings said in a telephone interview after the sentencing. The more than 200 marijuana plants found growing in his home triggered the mandatory minimum of five years in prison. The mandatory minimum for having the bombs in relation to drug trafficking is 30 years, Billings said.

Firefighters who checked his house found 13 pipe bombs,13 smaller CO2 cartridge bombs, 235 marijuana plants and two guns, which he was barred from possessing because he had been convicted of felonies, according to court documents.

The state police bomb squad found five pipe bombs in his car, which he had used to drive himself to the hospital after the explosion.

The investigation was conducted by the Office of the Maine State Fire Marshal, the Maine State Police Bombs/Explosives Unit, the Maine Drug Enforcement Agency and the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives along with the assistance of the Alfred Fire Department.

https://bangordailynews.com/2011/10/04/news/portland/alfred-man-due-for-sentencing-in-bomb-production/ printed on April 24, 2014