June 21, 2018
Hancock Latest News | Poll Questions | Border Patrol | Pride | Maple Syrup

Fire damages Bar Harbor home

By Bill Trotter, BDN Staff

BAR HARBOR, Maine — A fire Tuesday morning at a house on Eagle Lake Road is being blamed on an unattended candle, according to a local fire official.

The fire was reported around 9:30 a.m. by someone in the neighborhood who either saw or smelled smoke, Assistant Fire Chief Joey Kane said. The home at 52 Eagle Lake Road was “well-involved” when firefighters arrived a few minutes later, but they managed to knock down the flames fairly quickly, he said. The house is on a densely developed stretch of road next to the local golf course but no neighboring structures were damaged, Kane said.

He said a man who lives in the rented home had left a candle burning in an upstairs bedroom but had left the house on an errand into downtown Bar Harbor. There ended up being “extensive” fire damage to the second floor of the home and smoke and water damage to the first floor, according to the assistant chief.

Kane said the home is insured. There were no people or pets inside the home at the time of the fire. The renters, who operate a local restaurant, told Kane they would stay with friends rather than have the Pine Tree Chapter of the American Red Cross put them up at a local hotel.

Kane said one firefighter was taken to Mount Desert Island Hospital in Bar Harbor for observation after showing signs of “heat fatigue.” He said approximately 30 firefighters from Bar Harbor, Mount Desert, Southwest Harbor and Tremont were called to the blaze, as was Northeast Harbor Ambulance.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like