June 19, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | Susan Collins | Tiny House Surprise | Stephen King

Electrical problem suspected cause of Winterport fire

By Dawn Gagnon, BDN Staff

WINTERPORT, Maine — An electrical problem was cited as a possible cause of a fire late Sunday night that caused an estimated $100,000 in damage to a 1½-story house on North Main Street.

Fire Chief Tom Doe said a representative of the State Fire Marshal’s Office was in Winterport Monday to help pinpoint the fire’s cause.

“We’re thinking electrical. We haven’t been able to rule that out,” he said. However, he said that the investigation was not yet completed.

The fire at 1051 North Main St. was reported shortly before midnight Sunday by a passing motorist, who saw flames coming through the building’s roof, Doe said.

Patrick Arnett, his wife and their infant child were on vacation in Georgia when the fire broke out, Doe said. He said the Arnetts were notified of the fire and were on their way back to Maine to assess the damage on Monday.

Doe said the house, which is owned by William Dorrity, is insured and that the Arnetts have renters insurance.

Fire damage was contained to the upper level and roof and that the ground level had heavy smoke damage, he said. Despite the damage, it appears the house can be made habitable once it undergoes the needed repairs, he said.

Winterport firefighters were assisted by their counterparts from Frankfort, Hampden and Newburgh, Doe said. No firefighters were injured in connection with the fire, he said.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like