April 27, 2018
Midcoast Latest News | Poll Questions | Eugene Cole | EMHS | Turkey Hunt

Woman accused of driving with 0.34 percent blood alcohol in June arrested again

Photo courtesy of Waldo County Jail
Photo courtesy of Waldo County Jail
Elizabeth H. Hyde.
By Abigail Curtis, BDN Staff

BELFAST, Maine — A woman arrested earlier this summer for allegedly causing a three-car accident while driving with 0.34 percent blood alcohol content found herself in more alcohol-related trouble this week.

Elizabeth H. Hyde, 25, of Belfast, reportedly was picked up by her boyfriend for an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting Tuesday morning. When the boyfriend realized that she was intoxicated, according to Belfast Police Chief Jeff Trafton, he decided to drive her to the hospital to obtain help for her alcohol use. But Hyde did not want to go.

“She was very belligerent,” Trafton said.

Hyde allegedly tried to jump out of the moving vehicle and also bit, kicked and punched her boyfriend while he was driving. She then reportedly attempted to assault police officers who came to assist and also the corrections officers at Waldo County Jail, where she was taken. Hyde eventually was placed in the jail’s restraint chair, Trafton said.

She was arrested and charged with domestic violence assault and refusing to submit to arrest or detention and remained in custody on Friday morning, according to the chief.

Hyde previously was arrested on June 29 after allegedly driving into a line of cars stopped for a red light on Route 52. The accident caused a possible neck injury in one person and an estimated $5,500 in damage to the three vehicles involved.

Her blood alcohol content allegedly tested at 0.34 percent, which is more than four times the legal limit of 0.08 percent.

After that crash, Hyde was charged with operating a motor vehicle without a license and operating while under the influence, and was taken to Two Bridges Regional Jail in Wiscasset, where she was held on $400 cash bail.

Trafton said Hyde spent several weeks in jail while waiting to make her first appearance at Belfast District Court, which took place on Tuesday. At that time, she was given credit for time served in police custody and was released, the chief said.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like