HAMPDEN, Maine — A lightning strike caused a fire early Thursday morning at 664 Main Road North.

When firefighters arrived at 12:35 a.m., flames were shooting out of the second floor of the rental home located next to Pat’s Pizza, Shawn McNally, a firefighter and paramedic with the Hampden Fire Department, said Thursday afternoon.

The fire was extinguished before firefighters from Bangor and Newburgh arrived to assist, he said.

The male resident of the home reported that he smelled something burning upstairs, according to McNally. When he went to investigate, he saw flames and called 911.

The man and his daughter were unhurt, the firefighter said.

A bedroom at the back of the house was the only room damaged in the fire.

Firefighters left the scene shortly before 2 a.m., according to McNally.