BANGOR, Maine — The Bangor Book of Honor is the special volume containing a photo and information honoring those from Bangor who died in the service during World War II. The City Council commissioned the book, which is displayed in a glass-topped case near the circulation desk at Bangor Public Library. “Bangor Remembers Her Sons Who Died for Victory,” the inscription reads.
Local History and Special Collections Librarian Bill Cook, who is in charge of Maine and New England materials in the Bangor Room, has started Volume II of the Book of Honor to remember Bangor service personnel who died in more recent wars.
To mark the recent Memorial Day, Bill Cook has shared the names of those who have a page in Volume II so far in hopes that families of other people who qualify will step forward to share a photo and information on them. Included are:
• Pfc. George R. Burton, Army, Feb. 13, 1951.
• Capt. Earl Oswald Ruhlin, Air Force, December 1952.
• Pfc. Donald Aidan Cushman, Marines, Sept. 22, 1951.
• Pfc. Philip P. Tarr, Army, Oct. 3, 1951.
• Pfc. Robert J. Clukey, Army, July 20, 1950.
• Pfc. Clarence J. Gilbert, Army, Sept. 8, 1950.
• Pvt. Llewellyn Kenneson, Army, Sept. 13, 1951.
• Cpl. Anthony J. Makosky, Army, April 24, 1951.
• Pfc. Philip Norseworthy, Army, Dec. 11, 1951.
• Pfc. William H. Turner, Army, May 18, 1951.
• Sgt. Donald Sidney Skidgel, Army, Nov. 11, 1969.
• Maj. William Francis Callinan, Army, Dec. 18, 1970.
• Spc. 4 Robert Dorian Cranson, Army, Nov. 16, 1968.
• Spc. 6 James George Deschenes, Army, Feb. 6, 1970.
• Pfc. David Bruce Fogg, Army, March 3, 1967.
• Pfc. Martin Lee Freeman, Army, Jan. 11, 1966.
• Spc. 5 William E. Jordan III, Army, April 30, 1968.
• Lance Cpl. Edward Leonard Mann Jr., Marines, Sept. 8, 1968.
• Cpl. Frederick William McHugh, Army, April 16, 1971.
• Lt. Cmdr. Walter Forrest Merrick, Navy, Oct. 26, 1966.
• Staff Sgt. Charles Edgar Stuart, Air Force, May 19, 1966.
• Cpl. Charles Edward Sullivan Jr., Marines, June 29, 1967.
• Pfc. Thomas Michael Sullivan, Army, March 31, 1967.
• Pfc. Michael Peter Umel, Marines, April 10, 1968.
• Lance Cpl. Alexander M. Arredondo, Marines, Aug. 25, 2004.
• Staff Sgt. James Kristofer Ciraso, Army, Dec. 7, 2006.
The Bangor Daily News on March 15, 2008, also listed Lance Cpl. Cedric E. Bruns, Bangor, Marines, killed May 9, 2003, in Kuwait.
Photo and information on military personnel from Bangor who died in wars from World War II to the present may be sent to Bill Cook, Bangor Public Library, 145 Harlow St., Bangor ME 04401; email email@example.com.
Cook also is looking for a photo and information on Isadore Solomon, who served from Bangor and died during World War II.