PERHAM, Maine — A machine shop in Perham was heavily damaged during a fire Tuesday afternoon.
Washburn Fire Chief Troy Heald said in a written statement Tuesday that the fire was reported just after 1 p.m. Crews arrived at Perham Machine, which is owned by Mark Malnichuck, to find it fully involved.
Heald said it took crews about a half hour to contain the blaze. Other structures on the premises, including Malnichuck’s residence, were spared.
Heald said the fire was caused by a woodstove in the shop.
The property was not insured, and damage was estimated at between $50,000 and $75,000.
Washburn received assistance from fire departments in Caribou and Mapleton. Members of the Maine Forest Service and workers with Maine Public Service Co. also assisted with the effort.