June 23, 2018
Lewiston-Auburn Latest News | Poll Questions | Border Patrol | Energy Scam | Toxic Moths

Lewiston man faces cruelty charges after binding dog with duct tape

By Mark LaFlamme, Sun Journal

LEWISTON, Maine — A local man was charged Wednesday after his children found their dog with duct tape wrapped around his mouth and eyes.

Donald Otis Hebert IV, 46, of 70 Googin St., was arrested on a warrant charging him with two counts of cruelty to animals.

Hebert’s children discovered the pit bull bound in tape earlier in the month, police said.

The children had arrived at the Googin Street home and went looking for the dog. They found it, an investigator said, in the bathroom.

The animal had duct tape wrapped around its mouth so it could not eat, drink or bark. More tape had been used to cover its eyes, police said.

“The children had the presence of mind to remove the dog from the home,” Animal Control Officer Wendell Strout said.

The kids took the pit bull to their mother, who removed the duct tape and took the dog to the Animal Emergency Clinic on Strawberry Avenue, Strout said.

As the dog was being examined, a number of cuts were found on its legs, Strout said. The cuts were reasonably deep. Strout said he has not determined how the dog suffered those injuries.

Strout said there were distinct patches around the dog’s face where the tape had been placed.

Police went to Hebert’s home so Strout could interview him about the incident. Hebert refused to talk, Strout said. Police got a warrant and arrested Hebert early Wednesday morning at a home on Pierce Street.

In the warrant, Hebert is charged with two counts of cruelty to animals, one count alleging that he failed to provide medical attention for his dog’s cuts, the other charging that he subjected the animal to unnecessary suffering.

Investigators said they believe Hebert used duct tape on his dog because he did not want to deal with it. Strout convinced a judge to apply conditions to Hebert’s bail forbidding him from having contact with animals and from using drugs or alcohol.

“The animal shelter is five minutes away from his house,” Strout said Wednesday. “If he was incapable of taking care of the dog, he could have brought it there. They would have taken it. Instead, he chose to handle things his own way and this is the outcome.”

See more news from the Sun Journal at http://www.sunjournal.com/.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like