“Thousands of leaves from burning magazines and books, each a miniature blazing torch, were carried on he wind, some more than a mile.”
It started in a hay shed along the Kenduskeag Stream on a breezy Sunday afternoon, April 30, 1911. By evening it was destroying Bangor’s core at an uncontrollable rate. By the next morning the city lay in ruins, with 55 acres burned, 267 buildings destroyed and scores of families homeless. But the city rebuilt at an astonishing rate, shaping what we know as Bangor today. Building upon historic reports, photographs and maps, and working with the Bangor Museum, the Bangor Public Library and a citywide commemorative committee, the Bangor Daily News is proud to present the special edition (sponsored by Bangor Savings Bank) including a pullout poster and interactive website, Saturday, April 30, 2011.