June 22, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | Border Patrol | Energy Scam | Toxic Moths

Bangor area man shot while running from Portland police

Photo courtesy Portland Police Dept. | BDN
Photo courtesy Portland Police Dept. | BDN
Jonathan Mitchell, 29, of Bangor.
By Nok-Noi Ricker, BDN Staff

PORTLAND, Maine — A 29-year-old Bangor area man who reportedly was burglarizing a home on Allen Avenue early Sunday, took off in his car and was shot by a Portland police officer who was pursuing him, Portland police Lt. Gary Rogers said in a statement.

Jonathan Mitchell, who has a lengthy criminal record, did not stop running after he was shot on Fairfield Street at around 4:50 a.m. The bleeding man again took off in his black Volkswagen Jetta, said Rogers, who is part of Portland’s criminal investigations division.

“The driver fled the scene in the Jetta traveling westerly on Veranda Street,” he said. “Officers lost contact with the vehicle on Veranda Street.”

An hour and a half later, around 6:20 a.m., police found the car in the area of 150 Washington Ave., and caught up with an injured Mitchell in a nearby apartment.

He was taken into custody and taken to Maine Medical Center for treatment of the gunshot wound. Hospital officials said at noon that they had no information to release about Mitchell or his condition.

Rogers also was not available to answer questions about the incident at around noon Sunday, and the Portland officer who answered the department’s phone could not release information about where Mitchell was shot, whether he was armed during the confrontation and which police officer was involved. He did say more information would be released Monday.

Mitchell was charged with criminal trespass, operating after revocation, eluding police, theft and reckless conduct with a dangerous weapon, Rogers said.

The 911 call reporting a residential burglary in progress came into the station at 4:40 a.m. from 94 Allen Ave., Rogers’ press release states. It is not clear whether Mitchell left before or after police arrived, but they did spot the Jetta on Washington Avenue and “pursued the vehicle but the driver refused to stop,” Rogers said.

After turning off Washington onto Veranda Street, “The suspect turned onto Fairfield Street where the officer-involved shooting occurred,” he said.

Mitchell, who has a Veazie address, according to the Bangor Police Department, has a lengthy criminal record, according to prior court listings printed in the Bangor Daily News.

In the last decade, Mitchell has been convicted in Bangor courts for criminal mischief, theft, failing to stop for an officer, assault, possession of drug paraphernalia, driving while under influence of intoxicants, violating condition of release, violating a protective order, using another’s license or identification as his own, keeping a dangerous dog and allowing a dog to be at large.

Sunday’s shooting is being investigated by the Portland Police Department and the Attorney General’s Office.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like