May 24, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | Sharon Carrillo | Elver Season | Goat Airbnb

Man without pants charged in Brewer burglary

BDN staff reports

An unusual sight on South Main Street in Brewer early Friday morning led to charges for a Bangor man and the Brewer man with whom he was visiting.

Cpl. Levi Sewall said that the episode began about 3:15 a.m., when police were called to the area of South Main Street near Cianbro’s Eastern Manufacturing Facility to look into a report from a passer-by of “a man or woman wearing short-shorts and no jacket running in and out of the snow.”

When he and Officer Rodney Gerald arrived, they encountered the owner of Ron’s Intown Cafe, who had arrived for work. The cafe owner told them that someone apparently broke into the eatery through a side door to the kitchen area. The door consisted of several panes of glass, most of which were smashed, Sewall said.

When the officers entered the building to investigate, they found Daniel Watson, 30, of Bangor in the dining room area.

“He definitely had a shirt, a fleece vest and socks on,” but no pants, underwear or shoes — despite the subzero temperatures, Sewall said. Watson’s arms and legs were covered with cuts, Sewall said Friday night.

Sewall said it wasn’t clear why Watson broke into the building, but that a snow-covered shovel that wasn’t there before likely was used to break in. Watson was confused and incoherent and that “it certainly appeared” he was under the influence.

While that was taking place, Michael Allan, 37, with whom Watson had been visiting, entered the restaurant and refused to leave, despite requests from the owner and the police, Sewall said. He was arrested on charges of criminal trespass and obstruction of government administration and taken to Penobscot County Jail. Allan was released on bail later in the day, Sewall said.

Watson was taken to a Bangor hospital for treatment, where he was charged with criminal mischief and burglary but not arrested. (Dawn Gagnon, BDN)

A Biddeford man wanted for failing to pay a fine for carrying a concealed weapon in 2007 decided to turn himself in at the Penobscot County Jail early Friday morning, Bangor police Sgt. Paul Edwards said.

“He has been on the run for three years,” he said.

The jail cannot arrest people, so Bangor police went there around 4:20 a.m. to place Dennis Whitman, 28, under arrest. His unpaid fine was for $300, Edwards said. (Nok-Noi Ricker, BDN)

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like