BANGOR, Maine — The South Portland pickup driver who was arrested Monday night after leading city police on a brief but rapid chase remained behind bars on Tuesday.
Phillip Alan Hudson Jr., 41, faces charges of eluding a police officer, a Class C felony; drunken driving; refusing to submit to arrest; and violating conditions of his release from a prior arrest.
Hudson is being held at Penobscot County Jail pending a court appearance Wednesday at the Penobscot Judicial Center, a jail official confirmed.
The chase, which began shortly before 9 p.m., reportedly reaches speeds of 60 mph before it came to an abrupt end less than five minutes after it began, when Hudson drove over spike mats Bangor police laid out in an attempt to stop him, Lt. Tom Reagan said Monday night.
In an update on Tuesday, Sgt. Paul Edwards said that the episode began when Officer Joshua Kuhn, who was patrolling in the downtown area in a marked police car, saw the white Ford pickup that Hudson was driving turn left against a red arrow at Hammond and Central streets. The truck then headed toward Exchange Street.
Kuhn reported that the truck stopped at the red light at Exchange and Harlow streets and when the light turned green, it accelerated quickly up State Street, squealing its tires, Edwards said.
Kuhn then activated his lights and siren and when the truck reached State Street and Broadway, it turned right onto Oak Street and accelerated quickly toward the Penobscot River Bridge, where it sped into Brewer, traveled onto State Street and turned right onto Wilson Street. It then headed back to Bangor over the Joshua Chamberlain Bridge.
In the meantime, another Bangor police officer was able to lay a spike mat at the Bangor end of the bridge, Edwards said.
When Hudson drove over the mat, he lost the two front tires of his pickup, continued around the back of the Bangor House and then drove across Main Street to the front of the Bangor Fire Department’s Central Station, where Hudson got out, leaving two male passengers inside.
Hudson allegedly tried to run away but was apprehended within seconds by Officer Rob Angelo, Reagan said Monday night.
No one was injured in connection with the pursuit, Edwards said. The truck is registered to Hudson’s employer, which Reagan said Monday night was a southern Maine painting company.
Police interviewed the two male passengers, who appeared to be intoxicated, Edwards said.
They were not charged, however, and left in a taxicab.