BANGOR — Though the incident itself lasted less than five minutes, a police chase through Bangor and Brewer resulted in several charges for a motorist from the South Portland area Monday night.
The incident began when Bangor police tried to stop Phillip Hudson, 41, for a red light violation near the intersection of Main and Union streets, Bangor police Lt. Tom Reagan said Monday night.
Hudson, however, tried to drive away, Reagan said. He took the Joshua Chamberlain Bridge into Brewer, where he drove a short distance on Wilson Street before turning around and heading back into Bangor on the same bridge.
Reagan said Hudson reached speeds of 60 mph in an area with a posted speed limit of 25 mph.
Police were waiting for Hudson with spike mats on that bridge as well as the Penobscot Bridge just upriver, Reagan said.
After the spike mats took out the truck’s two front tires, Hudson ditched the white Ford extended cab pickup truck he had been driving in front of the Bangor Fire Department’s Central Station on Main Street, Reagan said.
It didn’t take Bangor police long to converge on the area from their station across the street.
Hudson was apprehended by Bangor police at about 9 p.m. — seconds after he ditched the truck, which is registered to a southern Maine painting company that may be Hudson’s employer. Details still were being sorted out shortly before 10 p.m.
Hudson, who had two passengers in the truck, tried to get away on foot, but he was caught quickly by Bangor police Officer Rob Angelo, who “got right on top of him,” Reagan said. Hudson’s passengers, both of whom were adult males, were not charged in connection with the incident and were allowed to leave in a taxicab, Reagan said.
Among the charges Hudson was facing Monday night were drunken driving, eluding police, criminal speed and violating the conditions of his release from a prior arrest on burglary and theft charges, Reagan said.
Witnesses to the incident included Seth Hamlin and his fiancee, Sasha Stecker, who reside on Wilson Street in Brewer and were on their way home from a childbirth class when Hudson nearly struck their vehicle.
Hamlin followed Hudson into Bangor, where he said he was hoping to have a word with police about the alleged speeder. Hamlin said Hudson could have injured Stecker or their unborn child.
Reagan said that given the busy location the incident took place in, it could have had serious consequences had Hudson struck a pedestrian, another motorist or police.
The next stop for Hudson, who still was being questioned at the city’s police station at press time, was Penobscot County Jail, Reagan said.