GUILFORD, Maine — A fire that started in the top of a commercial dryer in a laundromat on Main Street on Sunday was quickly extinguished by Guilford firefighters.
The fire in the building owned by James Chastenay started at about 12:50 p.m. in the laundromat, Guilford Fire Chief Allen Emerson said Sunday.
“The metal roof was the only thing that saved it from going up,” Emerson said. “There was smoke coming out the eaves when we arrived.” Firefighters managed to get in quickly and extinguish the fire, he said.
When the fire was spotted, Emerson said all of the tenants in the approximately six apartments in the building were evacuated and there were no injuries.
The smoke and water damage was confined to the laundromat and was minimal, according to Emerson, who did not know whether the building was insured.
Sangerville and Dover-Foxcroft firefighters went to the scene. Dexter firefighters, who were en route, were diverted to the Sangerville Fire Station to remain on standby, Emerson said.