DETROIT, Maine — An older mobile home on North Road in Detroit was gutted Monday by a fire that started beneath the structure in the vicinity of the hot water tank in the bathroom, fire officials said.
The State Fire Marshal’s Office ruled that the fire, which occurred about 2 p.m., was accidental in nature, according to Capt. Claude Thornton of the Detroit Fire and Rescue Department.
“Any time you have the cold like it’s been the last couple of days, it is hideous,” Thornton said.
In addition to the cold, the fire was hard to extinguish because it was an older mobile home that had add-ons, he noted.
“The fire kept popping up,” he said. “You thought you had it out and the next thing you know it was popping out someplace else.”
Thornton said Kenneth Judkins and Tiffany Carchide-Bouchard, who lived in the mobile home, were visiting Judkins’ father in an apartment in a garage next door when the fire erupted. When Carchide-Bouchard returned home and discovered smoke rolling out of the living room, she automatically closed the door and ran back to the apartment to call 911, according to Thornton.
The couple have renter’s insurance, Thornton said. The Red Cross was called to assist them.
Mutual aid was provided by firefighters from Newport, Plymouth and Pittsfield.