HAMPDEN — The Hampden Academy boys soccer team had a sense of urgency entering Tuesday night’s regular-season finale, but it couldn’t match Bangor’s sense of history.

Coach David Patterson’s Rams broke open a scoreless match with three straight second-half goals, then held on for a 3-2 victory over the Broncos to cap off their fourth consecutive undefeated regular season.

The win enabled Bangor to finish with a 13-0-1 record, good for first place in Eastern Maine Class A, and extended the Rams’ overall unbeaten streak in the regular season to 67 matches (63-0-4).

“Initially, I didn’t think we’d go undefeated,” said Bangor midfielder Jacques Larochelle. “I thought we would have lost one or two here or there, but I also thought we’d be solid. We just knew we needed to stay confident but not too cocky to make sure not to let any games go by.”

Adam King paced Bangor offensively with a goal and an assist, both off throw-ins. Seth Freudenberger and Phil Frost each added a goal, for Frost his team-high 17th of the season.

Graham Safford and John Meehan scored for Hampden in the final 3 1/2 minutes of play.

Bangor goalie Jesse Perkins made 10 saves, while Logan Poirier had five stops for Hampden.

Bangor withstood considerable early pressure from Hampden, which was ranked 10th in Eastern A and needed a win or tie to crack the top eight and qualify for postseason play.

Safford headed a shot off the crossbar six minutes into the match, and teamed with Corey Grover and Ben Clark to help the 6-6-2 Broncos generate a 12-8 shots advantage during the first half.

“We knew they were going to come out hard because if they didn’t, they were done,” said King.

King ended the stalemate six minutes into the second half on a throw-in from deep on the right wing that deflected off Poirier’s hands just under the crossbar and went into the net.

That marked the third straight game King has scored directly off a throw-in.

“The first time I thought it was luck, the second time I didn’t know what to think, but the third time — I must be doing something right,” he said.

Freudenberger extended the Bangor lead to 2-0 with 16:47 left, settling a throw-in from King just to the right of the goal and scoring from close range.

“When Adam threw the ball in, Phil yelled ‘it’s going over,’ so I tried to slip behind the defense because they were all playing Phil expecting him to head,” Freudenberger said. “The ball fell right on my foot and I was right in front of the goal.”

Frost made it 3-0 six minutes later with a 35-yard shot past backup goalie Harrison Haiden.

Safford cut the gap to 3-1 with 3:20 remaining on a direct kick from just beyond the 18-yard line that caromed in off the crossbar. Meehan’s goal came 1:36 later when he grounded home a rebound from 15 yards away.

Ernie Clark

Ernie Clark

Ernie Clark is a veteran sportswriter who has worked with the Bangor Daily News for more than a decade. A four-time Maine Sportswriter of the Year as selected by the National Sportscasters and Sportswriters...