February 23, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | Opioid Epidemic | Joyce McLain | Tourney Time 2018

Unruly behavior leads to 2 Smackfest arrests

Festival-goers push each other around in the mosh pit as they listen to the music of the Calais-based band Shallow Path on Sunday during Smack fest on the Bangor Watrfront. (BANGOR DAILY NEWS PHOTO BY GABOR DEGRE) CAPTION Festival goers push each-other around in the mosh pit as they are listening to the music of the Calais-based band Shallow Path. Thousants of people came to the Bangor Waterfront Sunday for Smackfest that featured 17 bands and ended with a concert by Godsmack. (Bangor Daily News/Gabor Degre)
By Nok-Noi Ricker, BDN Staff

BANGOR, Maine — A couple from Washington County became unruly during Sunday’s Smackfest music festival and were arrested after they refused to calm down and one of them kicked a police officer, Bangor police Sgt. Paul Edwards said Tuesday.

Even so, the daylong music festival, which brought more than 10,000 heavy metal fans to Bangor’s waterfront, went off with relatively few incidents, he said.

“It went extremely smooth,” Edwards said.

Smackfest, which featured local Maine metal bands during the day and headliners Godsmack, Five Finger Death Punch, Drowning Pool and Dead Season in the evening, was the last music event of the Hollywood Slots Waterfront Concert Series and the first all-day show.

“Overall, we’re happy with the whole thing,” Edwards said of the six concerts held along the waterfront.

During Sunday’s festival, police responded to a couple of minor incidents that didn’t result in arrests. But around 7 p.m. Samantha Gatcomb, 18, of Machias and Coby Lesbines, 25, of Columbia Falls began arguing, Edwards said.

The couple, who were intoxicated, were warned by police to knock it off or both would be arrested, the sergeant said. As the two were escorted outside the concert gate, Lesbines allegedly argued with officers, saying they could arrest him. Refusing to calm down, Lesbines fought with officers, who took him to the ground and handcuffed him, according to Edwards.

“While they were arresting him, the girl he was with got really disorderly,” the sergeant said. “She was trying to get in between” officers and Lesbines and “she was kicking and biting and was really out of control. During the confrontation, Lt. Mark Hathaway got kicked in the lower abdomen.”

Gatcomb was arrested and charged with felony assault of a police officer and obstructing an arrest. Lesbines was arrested and charged with disorderly conduct, refusing to submit to arrest and violating his bail conditions.

The couple were taken to Penobscot County Jail. Gatcomb was later released, but Lesbines remained in jail Tuesday, a jail official said.

If Gatcomb is convicted of felony assault of a police officer, she could face up to five years in prison and a fine of up to $5,000.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like