ORONO — Jennie Gallo scored two goals as the University of Maine shut out Sacred Heart 7-0 in its women’s hockey opener Friday night at Alfond Arena.

Ashley Norum, Chloe Tinkler, Dominique Goutsis, Brittany Dougherty and Kayla Kaluzny also scored for the 1-0 Black Bears. Myriam Croussett recorded three assists while Dawn Sullivan, Danielle Ward and Dougherty each had two assists. Brittany Ott saved all 19 shots.

Alexius Schutt and Isabella Santore combined for 46 saves off 53 shots for 0-1 Sacred Heart.

Field hockey

Maine 6, Quinnipiac 1

At Orono, Jocelyn Mitchell scored the game’s first three goals in leading the University of Maine to victory over Quinnipiac University.

Stephanie Gardiner added two goals and an assist for the 7-2 Black Bears. Courtney Veinotte added a goal in the second half. Mallory Anderson, Alexa Binnendijk and Brittany Cummings each provided an assist. Brittany Fleck and Alicia Frisch combined for three saves off four shots.

Kimberly Cunniff scored on a penalty corner in the second half for 2-6 Quinnipiac. Amanda Delouise and Nicole Lewis shared time in goal, stopping six of 12 shots.


TCU 41, SMU 24

DALLAS — Andy Dalton bounced back from interceptions on consecutive throws by leading three straight touchdown drives, lifting No. 4 TCU to a 41-24 victory over longtime rival SMU on Friday night.

Playing on the road for the first time this season, the Horned Frogs were in a bit of trouble when Dalton’s second interception set up a touchdown that gave the Mustangs a 17-14 lead early in the third quarter. Then Jeremy Kerley returned the ensuing kickoff 83 yards and TCU was back in control.

Dalton capped that drive with an 11-yard touchdown pass to Bart Johnson. Dalton completed a pair of third-down conversions on the way to a 9-yard touchdown run by Waymon James on the next series, then ran 14 yards on a third-and-7 to set up a 4-yard touchdown run by Luke Shivers at the start of the fourth quarter. That put TCU ahead 35-17 and entire sections in the Ford Stadium-record crowd of 35,481 began heading home.

The Horned Frogs (4-0) won their seventh straight road game, although this was far from a hostile environment. About a quarter of that record crowd was wearing purple, either folks displaced from the Fort Worth campus or who made the hourlong drive.

SMU (2-2) had won five straight at home and was looking for its biggest victory yet under third-year coach June Jones. Kyle Padron guided the Mustangs to a 7-0 lead, had them within four at 14-10 at the half and then threw a go-ahead touchdown pass just 1:02 into the third quarter.

But once Dalton stopped making mistakes, SMU was unable to keep it close. The Mustangs were simply worn out by TCU’s size, strength and depth.

The Horned Frogs beat the Mustangs for the 10th time in 11 meetings.

This was TCU’s final game outside the Mountain West Conference. The Horned Frogs are off next weekend, then go to Colorado State to begin pursuit of their first trip to a BCS bowl game.

Dalton was 14 of 26 for 174 yards and one touchdown — the 49th of his career, tying Max Knake’s school record set from 1992-95.

James ran eight times for 41 yards and two touchdowns, and Matthew Tucker ran 19 times for 63 yards and a touchdown.

Padron was 14 of 35 for 169 yards and two touchdowns, plus an interception. Darius Johnson made a terrific one-handed catch on a 50-yard pass following Dalton’s first interception, setting up a26-yard field goal with 20 seconds left in the first half.

Sterling Moore intercepted Dalton’s pass on the second play of the second half and returned it 32 yards to the 1.

TCU’s Tejay Johnson returned an interception 19 yards for a touchdown midway through the fourth quarter.

SMU’s Zach Line ran for 139 yards, including a 29-yard touchdown run in the fourth quarter.