HOLDEN — Four people were injured, one critically, when two cars collided along U.S. Route 1A Thursday morning, police said.

A red Volkswagen Jetta headed toward Ellsworth, driven by 29-year-old William Wright of Bangor, collided with a black Ford Edge, driven by Gary Seavy of Seal Harbor who was headed toward Brewer at about 10 a.m., police said.

Gary Seavy’s 39-year-old wife, Virginia Seavy, and his 17-year-old daughter, Courtney Seavy were in the Ford Edge when the accident occurred.

The Seavys suffered minor bumps and bruises and were taken to Eastern Maine Medical Center in Bangor. They left the hospital about 4 p.m. Wright still was listed in critical condition at EMMC at 4 p.m. Thursday, according to Holden police Sgt. Eugene Fizell. Wright is expected to survive.

The Seavys “only had bumps and bruises given the impact and the damage to the vehicles because of air bags and seat belts,” Fizell said.

Wright’s air bag deployed, and the Seavys all were wearing seat belts. Neither alcohol nor cell phones appear to be factors in the accident, Fizell said.

Both vehicles were traveling approximately 40 mph when they collided.

Three vehicles were behind each of the vehicles involved in the crash, and all six left the scene, Fizell said. He encourages anyone who witnessed the accident to call the Holden Police Department at 843-5442.

“Because right now we don’t know why it happened,” Fizell said.

The accident, just west of Harold’s Transmission, forced the shutdown of about a mile of Route 1A and the rerouting of traffic onto Church Street. The detour was in effect until about 2:45 p.m. as police cleared the scene of wreckage and reconstructed the accident.

Hydraulic extrication equipment was needed to remove Wright from his car. He was taken in critical condition to EMMC, according to Fizell.

The Jetta’s front end was pushed into the dashboard and its driver’s-side door was torn off. The floor of the car was pushed up to the steering wheel in a V-shape. Both vehicles were demolished in the crash.

The Jetta tore off the Ford Edge’s front tire and axle, and the floorboard had a hole ripped in it. The fender also was torn off during the crash.

Officer Chad Wilmot from the Ellsworth Police Department arrived at the scene around 1 p.m. Thursday to reconstruct the accident.

A LifeFlight helicopter crew provided medical assistance at the scene but did not transport any of the injured, according to police. Wright was taken to Eastern Maine Medical Center by ambulance.

The Maine State Police assisted Holden police at the accident scene, and the Dedham and Brewer fire departments assisted Holden with the accident victims.